We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

F1 2010 Grand Prix

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
F1 2010 Grand Prix

I am planning a trip Next October to The Korea to see the F1 Grand Prix at Yeongam,I have never been to Korean so ahve no Idea how far away Yeongam is from the nearest major airport?

I would like any information on korea and the area of the F1 race track and transport facilities

This is the venue:Yeongam County, South Jeolla, South Korea

Many Thanks

Jase

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: F1 2010 Grand Prix

The international airport is Incheon, about 220 miles away.

The best way there seems to be fly to Incheon, bus to Seoul station (ideally stay overnight at hotel there). Then KTX train to Gwangju. But how you get on from there isn't clear- sorry!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: F1 2010 Grand Prix

do a Google search. From Gwangju there's a local train to Daebul. If you need info on Korean trains, let me know.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: F1 2010 Grand Prix

The racetrack as well as the English version of the official website (http://www.f1korea.go.kr) is still under construction. Therefore, it is too early to tell how exactly access by public transportation will be provided.

The closest major city would be Mokpo, and the nearest airport would be, technically, Muan Airport. However, this airport seriously lacks connections due to low demand - one daily from Gimpo (Seoul) Airport, and infrequent connections to Beijing and Shanghai.

Given the nature of government-sponsored event, it is very likely that there will be special shuttle buses connecting the circuit and nearest train station/bus terminal/airport. Wait till summer 2010 for further details of domestic travel options.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: F1 2010 Grand Prix

Many thanks for all the replies on this subject I would like information on trains in Korea and what else is good to see in Korea? would like to see bit of Korea while im there?

Thanks Jase

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: F1 2010 Grand Prix

as to what's good, it depends on what you like!

Is it history, culture, beaches, DMZ?

For me, it would be Gyeongju for history, scenery, temples, and Seoul for a trip to DMZ and food.

As for trains, go to

http://info.korail.com/2007/eng/eng_index.jsp

and then "booking", "book online".

Your nearest station is "Illo" on the Daebul line

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: F1 2010 Grand Prix

Thanks Ethelman2 for your reply

I am looking at visiting the cultural and Historical sites in Korea? and trying out the street food there

What is DMZ?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: F1 2010 Grand Prix

DMZ is the border zone with N Korea. N and S are still technically at war and they are separated by a De Militarised Zone.

Worth a visit - see tunnels for inflitration, all sorts.

Do look at Gyeongju for culture

India
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: F1 2010 Grand Prix

Hi,

Im in Seoul for the next 3 months and would like to see F1 on TV. Could someone please tell me as to what channel relays live F1?

Thank you

Vivek

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: F1 2010 Grand Prix

I started researching for this event last week .In the end I've hit a brick wall because though I've worked out how to get to Gwangju, there is a major shortage of accommadation when you get there. I'm sure there will be shuttles etc but getting a roof over my head appears problematic for now.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: F1 2010 Grand Prix

The actual F1 circuit is even far down south, it's across Yeongsan River to the south from Mokpo City. Gwangju-Mokpo takes about an hour and a half by bus / car.

There are a handful of small motels and inns throughout both cities, so there ARE some form of accomodation in the vicinity. Yet, at the same time, I'm reluctant to say they are easy for non-Koreans to use, and these facilities aren't exactly at the level of maintaining their own website of any kind, even in Korean.

Then it comes down to what kind of roof you're willing to have over your head. If it has to be a comfy 5-star hotel bed, then you might as well 'shuttle' between Mokpo and Seoul by KTX in case those a few in Gwangju/Mokpo are fully booked.

Edited: 17 March 2010, 17:22