We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in seoul

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in seoul

We are traveling to Prague via Seoul this weekend. We arrive in Seoul this Saturday 23 Feb. at 5 and leave Monday at 2. The air line has booked us into Noblesse & Merdian (Jangan-Dong Dongdaemun-Gu). I was hoping to be ready to out that night by 7.30.

I believe it will take about 30 minutes to get to the city centre from our hotel.

I thought Saturday evening we may go to Seoul Tower -to check out the view before we go ice skating at Gwanghwamun Square.

Sunday morning

-Guided walk Changdeok Palace -guided tour 1130

-Gyeongbokgung Palace.

-Changing of the guard at either Deoksu Palace or Gyeongbokgung Palace

-Dongdaemun market

Afternoon (3pm-)

-Myeongdong

-Myeongdong Cathedral

-Namdaemun Market

Obviously the above list has too may things to do/see.

Anything we do and see in Seoul is a bonus to our trip as the main focus is the competition in Europe(my daughter is competing in an ice skating competition in Prague). My daughter and I love architecture, nature and she loves shopping especially markets.

What I would like is a reasonable time frame for each place. and a logical order to see them. Must do's ice skating, changing of the guard at one palace and at least one market.

Thanking you for any assistance J.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in seoul

I did not bother to post a response to your query as I thought you have a pretty good idea of what you're going to do. It looks like you did your research and already know what interests you and have a well-thought out plan. Cheers to you!

But since nobody else has responded, I thought I'd offer some advice.

If you are coming from Australia, then it is unlikely you will have jetlag. But anytime you cannot sleep and want to do something, go shopping in Dongdaemun. You are located nearby, so just hop into a cab and ask for "Doota" in the Dongdaemun area. This is one of many large shopping malls where they have shops or stalls selling clothing, accessories, etc. They are open nearly every day from 10am to 5am (that's right, they only take the hours between 5am and 10am off).

You can get the best deals at opening or closing. Korean storeowners have this superstition that they must get the first customer to buy something or they will have a bad sales day. So they will try to give you a good deal. Also, you can bargain for a good deal at closing, too. But please know Doota does not allow haggling any more. Migliore is still very active in haggling. And so is A/PM and Good Morning City.

You have an ambitious itinerary, but I think you can do it. Just do Dongdaemun late at night on your way back to the hotel. That way you can take your shopping bags straight to your room and not have to carry them around all day. Also, in your plan Dongdaemun is in the middle of Sunday. No, no, no. Just stay in the downtwon area.

I don't like Namdaemun Market. I'd skip it.

Personally, I'd rather go to the B1 food court in Shinsegae or Lotte Department Store instead and sample different foods. Or go for a stroll in Cheonggyecheon (man-made stream in the middle of the city).

Or better yet, go see a traditional Korean music and dance performance at Jeongdong Theater:

…visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp…

These are all located in the same downtown area.

Edited: 20 January 2010, 03:31
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,331 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in seoul

certainly a bit too much.

Why two palaces, I wonder?

The guided walk takes about 90 mins, so eats into your day quite a lot. That said, it's worth it.

I'd blow out Namdaemun since Dongdaemun is probably better -less touristy, less kitsch.

So that looks like:

Start at Dong Mkt; (subway from your hotel)

onto Anguk Sta for Changd. palace

I'd then walk along Insadong (you haven't included that) towards Myeongdong area, but divert to City Hall for changing of guard

Back after that into Myeongdong- where wander at will.

Train back to hotel after eating out

That's an ok day, I think

I think that's an OK day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in seoul

Certainly no need to do two palaces!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Seoul
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in seoul

Hi..

IMO your day is pretty hectic and doen't allow you to enjoy the trip, so i would suggest you to remove one or two places from your planning.

Honestly, as advised by other, visiting 2 palaces in one day definetely too much. If you're interested with the palaces guided tours, you'll need to allow 5 hrs (guided tours of Gyeongbokgung approx. 3hrs, Changdeokgung approx. 1.5 hrs and Deoksugung approx 2 hrs).

As advised by others, i agree, Dongdaemun is much better than Namdaemun. Unless you're interested with ginseng, i would skip this market. Also please not Doosan Tower closed on Sunday nights (23:00) and Jeilpyonghwa Market also closed on Sunday nights (21:00) in Dongdaemun Market.

Aha.. Ethel's trip planning is quite good... :) Noted your daughter interested with ice skating, you may take your daughter to Lotte World in the evening. The place has indoor ice skating rink.

For more info : www.lotteworld.com

Happy planning..

5. Re: 1 day in seoul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 08:15