We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding Incheon

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding Incheon

We are about to book flights from JFK to Siem Reap and all the airlines fly through Incheon. In view of the current conflict and that the civilian ferries go to problematic areas go to and from Incheon, we are reluctant to book this route. We prefer to wait and make a separate trip to travel in South Korea at another time.

Do you know of any other routing to Siem Reap from JFK?

How nervous should I be?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,661 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding Incheon

Hi,

I cannot foresee any real impact on the air operations at ICN.. In the past when this issue has arisen-- and yes, it has arisen before-- the airlines have adjusted their flight plans to take an approach that comes closer the Japans via the western side of the Russian Sakhalin Island and over the middle of the Sea of Japan versus the Eastern side of the Sakhalin island and thru the north central part of the Sea of Japan.

Airline adjust flight plans all the time to account for areas of temporary political, military or other issues of instability or inaccessibility. In most cases these changes are transparent to you as the passenger.. In some extreme cases this may drive a slight adjustment to the flight departure and/or arrival times to account for a longer overall flying time for the detour and adjustment.

Travel Safe,

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,828 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding Incheon

"How nervous should I be?"

That's an interesting question. The main people to be nervous seem to be Americans, with us Europeans carrying on regardless. And of course the Koreans have seen it all before.

But the truth is that you should not fly if you are nervous- why put yourself through that?

(I'm not sure what role the ferries play, though? Incheon and Incheon airport are different places, and I can't see any N Koreans coming to either on a ferry)

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding Incheon

Unless there's an all-out war, everything will be running just as usual. And a full scale war is highly unlikely no matter how dangerously the current political game seems to be played. I'm not trying to convince you to carry on as you have originally planned as if nothing has ever happened, but that's just how it is.

4. Re: Avoiding Incheon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2011, 06:41