We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

We are flying LDN - SYD visa ICN this coming Febuary.

We have a 3hour stopover going to SYD so we understand that we wont have time to do anything.

However on the way home, we land at ICN at 16:20. then we wont depart till 13:30 the following afternoon.

Can anyone tell me wether we will get our bag's when we get of at ICN?

Is there any possible way we can go to the DMZ early morning, I mean 4-5am.

I'll probably never get to Seoul again, but whilst I'm there I want to try my best to get the DMZ.

One more thing, where flying with Korean Air, and a free overnight hotel outside the airport is provided. Does anyone know what hotel it is?

Thanks.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

Bags: depends on what you ask for. You normally book them through- in which case take an overnight bag into the cabin, but you can ask for your bags to go only to ICN. You will have to recheck them in at ICN, tho, which is a pain.

KE owns Hyatt, just outside airport. I think you'll go there.

By "DMZ" do you mean Panmunjeom? If so, the answer is "no". Those tours are military supervised and you can't just turn up when you like.

You could perhaps do the Civilian Controlled Zone tour from Imjingak. But right now, I think they're all cancelled.

Bear in mind it will be COLD. After Australia you'll have a real temperature shock. From perhaps 80 deg F (29 C) to 20 F (minus 8 C).. If you can stand that, and have the clothes for it, you could do an extra night in Korea. KE are usually happy to allow a stopover.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

Things to do on a layover:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294197-c147610/Seoul…

Liverpool
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

Thanks for the replys.

I think we will see what we can, as it'll be dark, and then go for a few drinks & something to eat.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

I would suggest that you go to Seoul N Tower for a view of the city (if it is clear), then have dinner at Noryangjin Seafood Market, after which you can go to take the nearby Han River Cruise (it will be cold and windy, so be prepared though), and then get some drinks in Itaewon.

The next day, you can visit Gyeongbokgung (main palace), the Insadong area (arts and crafts), and Cheonggyecheon (artificial stream) before taking the bus in front of Lotte Hotel back to the airport. You should depart by 11am at the latest (to be safe, leave at 10am).

Check out this TripAdvisor article for more details on Seoul:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294197-s409/Seoul:So…

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
978 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

Hi

If you are sincere about the DMZ, my best advice is to skip the Hyatt and book accommodation and go directly into Seoul. Do this by Airport Limo (Bus). There is nothing to see or do when staying in the “Airport Village”. Sure you can relax and the hotel has a great indoor pool.

Which bus you take, depends on which hotel you book at. That depends on your taste and expectations.

If luxury is not essential (Hyatt is luxury. I have stayed there for a night in 2006 & 2007 & 2008), then try Rainbow or Doulos in Seoul:- Both have their own websites. – and reviews on TA.

Yes, I am saying turn down the free luxury hotel with complimentary dinner and breakfast , book a night in Seoul (80 minutes away) and have an evening in the city.

USO do Tours to DMZ.

affiliates.uso.org/korea/files/ACF263.pdf

KVA also do tours. Website is www.jsatours.com.

http://jsatour.com/eng/dmz/main.asp

There is a Tunnel Tour (I have done this), a Joint Security Area Tour and a combined tour. Any of this is only possible though if you put your onwards flight back a day.

Incidentally, the Air Terminal is impressive when you are on the "airside".

You can also do stopover tours.

http://www.airport.kr/eng/

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

Hi there I did the short DMZ tour but it only came back to seoul at about 13.30. I have some pics on my travel site and it includes a brochure cover with phone number and a website address that may help you. Maybe yu can book an individual tour that will take you early inthe morning.

you can see some pics at www.angietravels.com

good luck hope it works out.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

Home from my trip now.

We stayed at the Benkia Songdo Bridge hotel.

We didnt make Seoul, we was over an hour away via subway and went spending 80.000 yon on two taxis plus we got into Incheon at half 7. Gutted about that.

Fantastic it was, we'd been used to staying in hostels in Australia, dorms & shitholes and got put up in a 5* Single room in Incheon.

Free buffet, free breakfast (which we mised) and free voucher for incheon airport.

Would definatly have another stop over and would fly with Korean Air.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

Thanks for your feedback.

I think a trip to Seoul is worth it though. Maybe next time.

Public transportation is excellent in Korea. Very cheap and runs frequently. I don't know what area you were in, but you could take a taxi to the nearest subway stop and just go from there. The subway system is extremely extensive and can take you pretty much anywhere in the Seoul Metropolitan Area (which Includes Incheon and even some cities in Chungcheongdo Province two hours away!)

9. Re: Seoul, 19 hour stopover.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 22:16