We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

Canberra
Level Contributor
605 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

Thought this would be helpful to all those people who are considering/have decided to fly with Korean Air with a scheduled overnight stopover.

There is a general lack of information associated with this 'scheduled stopover'. Our travel agent could give us no information, the air hostess on the plane could not give us any information, and all we were told was to go to 'the transfer desk'.

Well there was great confusion among the transit passengers. This was made worse by a number of delayed flights all landing in Incheon at approximately the same time. Due to the snow/weather conditions of December 2010.

There was no signage as to where to go!! When we eventually worked out that you needed to go through immigration (but do not collect baggage - as this was directed to London) and then into the Arrivals Hall to then find the 'Transfer Desk'.

We eventually found the correct transfer desk, then waited with a mass of people and were finally given a sticker to place on our clothing that identified us as 'transit passengers requiring accommodation'. Because of the number of passengers in this position we were told to stand in a particular area with other passengers and were finally herded onto a bus. No idea where we were going!!

Ended up in a hotel in Incheon town proper called Paradise something. We drove past the Hyatt which was located in an isolated spot outside the airport.

In the end, our hotel was OK, but we arrived very late at night and had no access to any food - sorry the hotel restaurant is closed, understandable. There was a vending machine but we had no Korean money and didn't really want to get any as we were leaving the next morning.

Getting up early the next morning we enjoyed a wonderful walk through the restaurant area (closed) near our hotel and then a walk up a beautiful park (on a hill) which provided lovely views of the working harbour. Here we saw a number of local Koreans walking/running/exercising (there were some very innovative exercising machines available for the public to use free of charge which uses a person's own body weight).

Overall we loved our trip with Korean Air. The staff were fantastic and the service and food excellent. We would fly with them again with no hesitation and are actually thinking of going to New York with them for our next holiday and extending it with a proper stop over in Korea.

Just a little bit more information about the scheduled stop over and hotel procedure would give Korean Air a 100% rating.

Well done overall.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

Hi,

Appreciate your info on the layover for Korean Air as I might be experiencing the same soon.

I will be flying Korean Air for my trip to Atlanta from KUL in April 2011 and during return there will be 24 hrs layover for me. My agent told Korean Air will provide complimentary hotel stay in which I he cannot confirm which hotel as they only give out hotel vouchers.

So the baggage will direct to my final destination? even if its 24 hrs layover?

I hope the staff will guide as to where and what to do.

Canberra
Level Contributor
605 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

Yes, that is correct. Our travel agent in Australia told us to pack an overnight bag to take as hand luggage. Our check-in bags were booked through to London from Sydney.

Korean Air provide accommodation with dinner, breakfast and we also got a meal voucher to use at the Transit Hotel at the airport. The voucher covered a sandwich and drink but was not enough for a full meal. But you can order anything and they bill you for the extra cost only.

When you disembark from the plane in Incheon, go through customs and straight outside and look out for the transfer desk. Show your boarding pass and they will organise the accommodation for you. Hotel depends on the number of people in transit. Because a number of flights were delayed when we arrived there were a lot of people looking for complimentary accommodation. There were 4 hotesl they were using, and according to the sticker you were given to wear on your jacket, you were told which group to stand with and then that group was allocated a hotel.

Bus transfer to hotel and return was also included. Very good value.

Call Korean Air in Malaysia and double check the 'check-in baggage' just to make sure.

Also if you are travelling with a friend, ask for the seats at the back of the plane as they are just 2 seats together. Your travel agent should be able to book them in for you now.

Enjoy your holday.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

I prefer Asiana Airlines, but Korean Air is not still quite good compared to other airlines.

If I may, I would suggest that you post your message to the Korean Air site's Customer Service feedback section. Korean companies take messages posted on their sites very seriously because it counts for their performance. So they will respond back to you and at least try to consider reforming their service and information.

Asia
Level Contributor
966 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

Thanks for the tip of taking overnight bag in hand carried luggage. Very helpful tip as the checked luggage is gone to the final airport.

Bali, Indonesia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

Thank you for your post.

I will be flying from Bali to San Francisco on Korean Air with a 31 hour layover in Seoul. My flight arrives on Saturday, April 9th at 9:25 a.m. and leaves the next day at 4:05 p.m.

Will I be provided complimentary hotel accommodation and transfer as well? And will my luggage be transferred to my final destination (SFO) while I'm enjoying Seoul? My ticket and the website has no mention of this.

Anyways, I have a few friends in Seoul and wanted to meet up with them for my 31 hour layover. But it would be nice to know if I qualify for a complimentary hotel room and transfer as well as if I don't need to worry about my luggage.

Thanks! :)

Canberra
Level Contributor
605 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

Sorry I cannot help you with a 31 hour lay-over. I think that it may only apply for under 24 hours, but I may be wrong. Your travel agent should be able to help you. It is very difficult to get information about what is provided and what the logistics are when you actually arrive at Seoul. There might be a local number you can ring to contact the airline. To be on the safe side I would pack an overnight bag as hand luggage.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

We are in the same situation, we are flying with Asiana and have a 19 hour layover on our way back to london, our travel agent couldn't tell us for sure if complimentary hotel was included. He said it is usually but may not be in August? But then tried to charge us extra for a hotel to be sure we had somewhere to stay! Does anyone know how I find out before getting there? thank you

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

We also have a 19 hour layover in August but on our way to London. Our travel agent has told us that the complimentrary hotel was included for that amount of time. We were told to do some sightseeing while we are there. Im pleased I looked this up as it should help us when we get there. Thanks

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

please check your booking to see if the hotel is listed for your trip to London. (or to see if "a hotel" is indicated). If not, check with Asiana (or KAL respectively).

My experience is that you may NOT get a free hotel in August.

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Korean Air - Overnight Accommodation report

Did as you suggested and for some reason there is an embargo on America and Canada for that time of the year (the travel agent couldn't get an Answer as to why). As the 5 of us are travelling to London we covered and yes a hotel is indicated on the ticket.

My Mother is 72 (with some walking problems) and with the waiting time being as long as 2 hrs (if not more) she has also booked in a wheelchair for her.