We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Seoul-Tokyo; Fukuoka-Seoul

eindhoven
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight Seoul-Tokyo; Fukuoka-Seoul

Dear all,

please help me with the following:

My husband and me would like to book flights from South Korea to Japan (Seoul to Tokyo) on 22nd of July and Fukuoka to Seoul on 4th of August. I have searched for flights but unfortunately the price is very high approx. 500 euro. Do you have any suggestions about cheap air tickets for indicated time period.

Thank you!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Seoul-Tokyo; Fukuoka-Seoul

Although I can see a "Tokyo Narita-IN / Fukuoka-OUT" arrangement with Japan Airlines quoted at KRW 539000 (apprx. equivalent to EUR 350) per person, the overall fare level to/from Japan isn't actually surprising. Unlike Europe where short-haul flights are dominated by low-fare carriers, short-hauls in Northeast Asia - although LCCs do exist - are still largely the big boys' business.

Plus, when you're dealing with major carriers, a return to/from the same destination is always cheaper than choosing separate cities or single ticket x2.

If you change your point of departure in Korea to Busan (only because you can then fly on a LCC, Air Busan), your "Tokyo Narita-IN / Fukuoka-OUT" itinerary with one day less stay in Japan will cost you KRW 424400 per person, which is some EUR 74 less than the JAL deal I've previously explained.

eindhoven
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Seoul-Tokyo; Fukuoka-Seoul

Thank you!

Is Air Busan the only LCC that operate South Korea-Japan route?

It is not the first time for us in Asia, but it is first time visit to S.Korea and Japan. Previously, we used Air Asia and Cebu Pacific.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Seoul-Tokyo; Fukuoka-Seoul

There are also Jeju Air and Eastar Jet.

However, Jeju Air flies to Osaka, Nagoya, and Kitakyushu, whilst Eastar Jet will only commence flying to Tokyo from July 1. The only other destination of Eastar in Japan is Chitose in Hokkaido.

Although Eastar is now offering limited promotion fare for its new Seoul-Tokyo route, a return trip will still cost KRW 318300 per person (incl. taxes) and those seats in July are selling out fast.

If you count in your land trip from Fukuoka back to Tokyo in order to catch your return flight, then the original offer by JAL shouldn't be too expensive, even compared to, say, ferry into Osaka (furthest you can go by boat) from Busan and hydrofoil back to Busan from Fukuoka.

eindhoven
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Seoul-Tokyo; Fukuoka-Seoul

One more question, please: I wanted to book the flight you were suggesting (Japan Airlines) since the price seems reasonable. The only problem is that the flight is not possibe to book online. It seems that I need to call them. Is that correct?

Best Regards!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Seoul-Tokyo; Fukuoka-Seoul

I got the quote from one of the largest local Korean online agencies - think of Amadeus, Skyscanner, Kayak etc. in Korean - called Onlinetour.co.kr, not directly from JAL.

Therefore, it also implies that it'll be a restricted, fixed-itinerary tickets in exchange for lower fares, and its availability is limited.

eindhoven
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Seoul-Tokyo; Fukuoka-Seoul

Thanks!

I have found the ticket on Kayak!

7. Re: Flight Seoul-Tokyo; Fukuoka-Seoul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 06:16