We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seoul stop over

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Seoul stop over

I am stopping over in Seoul for 2 nights. I arrive around 5.30 on a wednesday afternoon, and will need another hour or so for customs and then another hour for transport to my guesthouse. To be honest I had never considered a trip to South Korea, however due to flight restrictions I have a forced stopover. As I have been researching and googling what to do in Seoul for my one day I have begun to get really excited and this is what I have come up with.

Arrive at guesthouse roughly 7.30pm. Settle in and make way outdoors for a bite to eat. I know I will be exhausted from the 10 hour flight so I will more than likely head back to bed.

I'm not much of a history type person, but have decided it would be ridiculous not to head to the Deoksugung to see the changing of the guards ceremony at 11am. After this I figure a trip to the N Seoul Tower is on the agenda, as I love lookouts and views. I also heard there is a martial arts display at the bottom at 3pm - is this accurate? And is it worth the wait? After taking in the view I thought I would end my day with some shopping at the markets. Probably the namdaemun markets. I am not looking for clothing, more arts and crafts or typical korean type souveniers. Is this the best market for this type of thing. I am also a huge lover of international cuisine, and am excited about the opportunity to taste various korean dishes and delicacies so would love to know where the best place for that would be. My guest house is located near Insadong and Myeongdong so I would probably then spend the evening looking around these areas before heading home for a rest.

I leave around lunchtime the next day, and after breakfast intend on heading straight to the airport. I cannot walk for hours on end or climb big hills etc. I suffer from chronic back pain and looking at this itinerary is already making me nervous as I am not sure how my back will hold out for an entire day of playing "tourist".

Now that I have written an entire novel, does anyone have any suggestions, additions, or changes they think I should make to my itinerary? Is there something that I should REALLY go and see...or is there something that is not worth my time, that I have mentioned? Any input is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Deoksugung
Deoksugung
919 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
N Seoul Tower
N Seoul Tower
8,045 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Insadong
Insadong
5,594 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Guest House Myeongdong
Guest House Myeongdong
72 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seoul stop over

personally, with a bad back I'd give Namdaemun Mkt a miss. I'd concentrate on Insadong for souvenirs. At the southern end, near Tapgol Park (which is worth a brief visit) there are many food stall, as well.

Consider the City Tour bus- if your back aches, hop on it for a while.

Mentioned in this post
Insadong
Insadong
5,594 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Tapgol Park
Tapgol Park
101 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
California
Level Contributor
228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seoul stop over

Check out the Seoul City Tour Bus web site: www.seoulstopover.com/program/citytour.asp… We found it very convenient and gives you a great overview of the city and it includes the Seoul N Tower along with the changing of the guard at the Gyeongbokgung palace.

Mentioned in this post
Seoul City Tour Bus
Seoul City Tour Bus
292 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
N Seoul Tower
N Seoul Tower
8,045 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Gyeongbokgung Palace
Gyeongbokgung Palace
8,546 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
California
Level Contributor
228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seoul stop over

Check out this you tube video posted on this forum on July 9 by TheGreatDane33 - if you are considering Seoul - go

: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFkj7kNd_wo

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
92 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seoul stop over

You can try Insadong for traditional arts and crafts: www.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SH/SH_EN_7_2_2_1.jsp

Mentioned in this post
Insadong
Insadong
5,594 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seoul stop over

thanks for your replies....I am really looking forward to my stop over in Seoul!!

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
987 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seoul stop over

Agree with the advice re bus and Insadong also.

You will love this place. Worth a return trip. An amazing amount to see and do.

DCtheKIwi

Edited: 18 July 2011, 11:21
Mentioned in this post
Insadong
Insadong
5,594 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seoul stop over

Please see the First-Time Visitors article and the Layover article in TOP QUESTIONS to the right. These should help in ideas on things to do and managing your schedule.

8. Re: Seoul stop over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 13:15