We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Korean attitudes to people filming and photographing?

Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Korean attitudes to people filming and photographing?

In some countries, such as Morrocco, it is forbidden to photograph somebody without their prior permission.

Now OF COURSE I DO NOT plan to take pictures of people, but whilst I am sightseeing, I will like to get some photo/film memories.

Is there any particular place that I should be advised NOT to take photos and use my camcorder? Temples?

There seems to be lots of film on YouTube, like of people walking down shopping streets in Myeongdong etc, so I cannot presume there is too much of a problem, but thought I would ask...

Lotte World Tower & Mall
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Observation Decks & Towers, Shopping Malls,
New York
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Korean attitudes to people filming and photographing?

Please~ I can understand about you being anxious about vising a strange foreign country that you don't know much about. But you can relax, Koreans attitude about taking photo is not that much different from your home land. You can shoot your heart's content at any place unless there is "no photography" sign. I've took pictures from palaces, temple, museums (without flash of course) and etc.

Actually I found Koreans are so helpful, on several popular areas such as Bukchon Hanok Village, I saw couple of camera signs engraved on the road, indicating that's the good spot to take picture!~ (How helpful is that?)

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Korean attitudes to people filming and photographing?

Hmmm, Blee, I would slightly disagree with you. Most Koreans are quite shy and do not want to be filmed or have their pictures taken by others without permission. If it's just camcording in a major street, it should be fine. But some people, especially young women, will hide their faces as they pass by.

New York
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Korean attitudes to people filming and photographing?

I think not only Koreans but many Americans would also shy away when a stranger want to photograph them without asking permission. You need to read my post more carefully. I said the OP can take photo of any place unless there is "no photography" sign. What I meant Koreans being helpful about photographing was that they placed "photo spot" signs on many good vantage points, helping tourist to take good picture.

On side notes, on few occasions when I asked locals for permission to take picture of them, after initial hesitation, they happily posed for my camera. Some people even coached me which angle would be good for them, some fixed their makeup carefully, and some even asked me to shoot them again after they reviewed the first shot. Overall, I find Koreans are quite helpful and friendly once they got over their initial shyness.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Korean attitudes to people filming and photographing?

well,first of all what you have said isn't true,am moroccan,and i can say that we are very famous for being generous and being well known for a special kind of hospitality,so moroccan people are very friendly in general,of course you will feel the freedom as long as you don't abuse the freedom of other people,that's the limit for how things goes in general,so my advise to you is where ever you go,viedo filming i guess is fine,but without taking picture unless you ask the people permision,every and each individual in this earth has his/her own privacy,make sure you don't abuse that term under the name of freedom.

asking people permission shows your education level, and give a great feedback about ur personality.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Korean attitudes to people filming and photographing?

My Korean is not up to asking permission to take pictures.

I would not hesitate to take pictures of places and crowded places. In places like Folk Villages, pix of "performers" are OK.Pix of groups of kids are probably fine. However pictures of individuals, as you say, are a no-no.

Temples are fine except where there is a no-camera sign.

And I agree with blee246 about helpfulness. Some Koreans will offer to take pix of you with YOUR camera. I have had many Koreans who want their picture taken with me or with my wife- even a bride and groom on their wedding day!

6. Re: Korean attitudes to people filming and photographing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 22:17