We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seoul or Shanghai????

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
277 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Seoul or Shanghai????

i know that when i post this in seoul forum i will get most people saying seoul and if i post in shanghai forum most people will say shanghai!!!

my question is i want to visit 1 city out of the 2 but not sure which 1 to go with?

between Seoul and Shanghai, which city you think has better things to do inside the city itself, like shopping, restaurants, relaxing and finding unique things to do ??

my plan is for February travel so which 1 is better ?

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seoul or Shanghai????

you ask for selection between chalk and cheese. The cities are very different.

In Feb, Seoul will be very cold. I would therefore choose Shanghai, which will be warmer.

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
New York
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seoul or Shanghai????

Agree with ethelman. Two cities are too different to compare.

I haven't been to Shanghai but I can tell you that Seoul has been the capital city for over 600 years, so there is many historical sites such as royal palaces. Plus you will have plenty of choices for shopping/restaurants/entertainment there.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
t
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seoul or Shanghai????

in my opinion Seoul.(but not in winter)

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seoul or Shanghai????

Both cities are indeed very different. Both have shopping, restaurants, and relaxing things to do.

Shanghai is warmer in Feb. It's a modern city, unlike the other China cities. So if you want to see Chinese history, you'll be disappointed. However, there are many massage parlours, restaurants (both chinese and western), shopping in both subway underground shops as well as modern shopping malls. Like Seoul, it's easier to move around using their subway.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seoul or Shanghai????

errr... don't forget, like Beijing, Shanghai is also one of the most polluted city in China.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Seoul
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seoul or Shanghai????

Shanghai!!! I have lived in Seoul for 20 years and learned how to enjoy it. But for sure now that I know this city very well I'd say i wouldn't have to come here from far away just for pleasure. But Shanghai is a must from whereever you are in the world. It's worth visiting.

That was my humble opinion :)

Weather in Shanghai is not the best in February but usually it's about 8 degrees higher than in Seoul.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Beijing
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Seoul or Shanghai????

In the end, the historical sights in seoul are indeed interesting,but they so not quite compare with those of China. If you go to Shanghai, the shopping eating, and relaxing will be amazing for sure, if that is what you're looking for. Keep in mind that Shanghai is only a 5 or so hour train ride from Beijing, and there you will get cultural sights many times better than seoul.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seoul or Shanghai????

I have been to both and I have to be biased and say Seoul since I'm pretty much of a shopaholic , so Seoul would be my choice... ^^

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seoul or Shanghai????

Both cities are excellent. Shanghai is a bigger world city and Seoul has nothing like colonial elegance of 'The Bund' and it doesn't have the ancient history offered by the nearby water towns. Nanjing Road is also just mega - especially at night. Its just glows with neon. The French Concession is also interesting and this sort of equates with Insadong in Seoul.

I would say that Seoul is a compact city (excluding Gangnam) and its a lot easier to get around to many of its main attractions, often by foot. The museums are excellent in Seoul and the palaces are truly lovely. One of Seoul's nicest features is the Cheonggye Stream and the gorgeous mountain backdrop. If you want to hike then its definitely better. Seoul has a bit of a trendy feel to it I must say.

Both places have market shopping and plenty of places to eat.

Edited: 20 December 2012, 07:30
Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Nanjing
Nanjing
Jiangsu, China
Insadong
Insadong
5,638 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Suwon, South Korea
Level Contributor
581 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seoul or Shanghai????

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

For shopping, I'd choose Dubai. (haha)

If you like luxury goods(Louis Vuitton, Channel etc.), I've heard many Chinese tourists saying that the luxury goods are more in variety in Korea so they buy galore from shops in Seoul. But from what I've observed Dubai has more variety.

That being said, I think for shopping Seoul is a good place because whyelse would Chinese people do so much shopping in Seoul?

For historic sites, Shanghai is not the place. Seoul is much better. But if you want to go to Beijing, I guess it's a different story.

I would suggest Seoul because I am biased.

Seoul is a city where a quarter of Korea lives.

It has all different sorts of restaurants. You name it, they have it.

You can go to a concert if you like K-pop.

Or you can go skiing if you're into winter sports.

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China