We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using credit card in Korea

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Using credit card in Korea

Hi,

I've tried to book flights with Jeju Air and Eastar Air but were not successful at payment. They asked me to contact the issuing company. My credit card was issued by ANZ in Vietnam and i haven't had any problems booking flights and using in other countries. Does anyone here have similar problems? Can i still use this credit card in Korea to pay other things?

Looking forward to your reply.

Many thanks,

Cherry

Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using credit card in Korea

Can you check with your credit card bank, whether the air ticket transaction was successful and approved by your bank? Some transaction approved and paid to merchant by bank but merchant said the transaction wasn't successful.

In my country, Malaysia, in the past if i swiped online transaction by credit card, bank would refused the transaction in advance for doubt transaction. Until I called them to check with them, they approved for me the 2nd transaction . I mean they might need your verification. May be you can call your bank and tell them how much you would like to swipe and which merchant name, inform them in advance before purchasing.

You will need to inform your bank the travelling date from when to when.

Beside this, you can ask for cash advance(cash withdrawal) in oversea atm machine in case you totally finished cash and check with them the charges for cash advance by credit card.

Hopefully I can help you.

Mentioned in this post
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using credit card in Korea

Dear Teh M,

Thank you for your reply. I've checked with the bank that issued my credit card and they said no transactions have been made recently with my account. I told them about the problem and they asked me to try again. However, it was successful either. They had no ideas of what have happened. I didn't have any similar problems when i book flights or accommodations in other countries.

I've asked a few friends here who have been to Korea and they also advised me that they couldn't book the tickets with airlines in Korea. They had to ask their friends who were living in Korea to book for them. They said that some airlines in Korea don't accept credit cards from foreign banks. I think i will have to buy the tickets via travel agents when i get there.

Anyway, thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Best wishes,

Cherry

Kuala Lumpur...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Using credit card in Korea

I just purchase a ticker at jejuair website. The website needs to install an ActiveX component to work. It will open a window to prompt you if you don't have the component already.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using credit card in Korea

Dear Willbeh.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try it tonight to see if it works with my credit card.

Have a nice day!

Cherry

5. Re: Using credit card in Korea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 10:17