We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

Which Seoul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

Hallo there dear travellers...

We've planned to go to south Korea somewhere around next year.

3-4 of us.

So, we need some ideas, tips n info on where to shop, place to stay which is affordably practicle, near n cheap. Owh also the safest, convenience transport to take- price range.

As we would like to shop for Clothes, Textiles n K-Pop fancy items as wholesale.

All tips appreciated.. TQVM

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

i don't really understand your definition for wholesale, but I am able to provide some information about shopping in Seoul as I am myself a shopaholic too.

In Seoul itself, the best place to shop around is Myeongdong, Dongdaemun and Sinchon Ladies Street.

Tips on getting to:

Myeongdong -> Take line 4 on the subway and stop at Myeongdong

Dongdaemun -> Either you want to do Myeongdong then walk to Dongdaemun via Cheonggyecheon (approx 20 mins walk) or you can consider taking the train. If you take the train, stop at Dongdaemun History & Culture park

Sinchon Ladies Street -> Take line 2 and stop at Ewha Women's University

Personally, I hate the trains, that is why I am either on the foot a lot when I am in Seoul or I am taking a lot of buses. Assuming that you are not an adventurous person who can read map VERY well, not a person who LIKES walking {and i do mean A LOT of walking}, and {notice i put and and not or} not a person who knows how to read any Korean at all, do not do it my way.

Trust me when I say, you can either read Korean or not able to read Korean at all. There is not such thing as read a little Korean, because Korean is very easy!

Tips on shopping:

Sinchon Ladies Street is the place where you find the cheapest things in town. Therefore, go shop till you drop in Sinchon first before going to Myeongdong and Dongdaemun

Tips on exploring the city:

Downtown Seoul is where all the attractions are located. Some places that are MUST GO for culture loving people would be: Insadong, one or all of the palaces, Jongmyo, Gwanghwamun Plaza and so on.

Insadong, Gwanghwamun, Gyeongbukgung, Jongmyo, and the beginning of Cheonggyecheon are near each other, therefore you can consider visiting the places together.

A must go place for Insadong is Ssamziegil, not because it is famous but because of the neoprint shop on the second floor. The good thing about this place is that you can take neoprint in traditional hanbok. Hanbok rental is free, weee!! :D

To get to this shop:

go to Ssamziegil.

you can either ->

1) find the stairs there, (which i found pretty difficult because there are tonnes of stairs there leading to different places), or

2) just keep walking all the way to the top (which i recommend), then after that go through the little pathway full of locks, little love notes all over the fence. Go downstairs, and keep going down the stairs until you reach the shop. You will never miss the shop, cos there will definitely be tonnes of people there.

Insadong also has a indoor baseball court (야구장). I do not really know where you are starting your trip in Insadong from, but it is in one of the buildings at one end of the Insadong street. Search for the sign on one of the buildings. If you get lost, show any Koreans the letters above and they will know where to take you.

Reason I wrote the baseball court letters for you, is because this place does not appear on the map, therefore you will never find it on any tourist map.

Yup, so I am done :D

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

Do you only wish to shop?

If so, stay near Dongdaemun Mkt.

Budget? Your cheap might be different to mine!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

Oh, as for the accommodation, like what ethelman2 said, yes. You can consider staying near Dongdaemun. However, choose your accommodation that is closest to Dongdaemun Historical and Cultural Park station. Reason being, that place is the intersection for 3 train lines, and therefore is pretty accessible to everywhere else.

PS: One of the train line that passes by Dongdaemun Historical and Cultural Park station goes directly to Ewha Women's University :D

Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

I heard that if you are going by subway within 3-5 station for 3-4 persons. cheaper if going by taxi as 1,050W Per person by subway but taxi generally 3k-5k won if no traffic issues

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

WOW... that's almost details.. tqvm...

I've googled & read ur tips n also fr others. guess this will do much for us...

as we're gonna go there n shop till we drop.. haha..

Edited: 01 October 2012, 06:23
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

junelow

WOW... that's almost details.. tqvm...

I've googled & read ur tips n also fr others. guess this will do much for us...

as we're gonna go there n shop till we drop.. haha..

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

yes ethelman2,

we only do wish to shop...

we've seen the review on budget accomodation suitable for backpacker or at least just a place to sleep, n they've said much about Backpackers Korea Dongdaemun.

wonder what u think bout this place. :) tq

Kampala, Uganda
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

I would like to come and shop, please update of shops with fair prices , hotel to stay and an invitation please

Kampala, Uganda
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea

I would like to come and shop, please update of shops with fair prices , hotel to stay and an invitation please

Kampala, Uganda
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wholesale Shopping Area In South Korea