We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Subway Travel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Subway Travel

We were planning on taking the Communter Train from Incheon Airport to Euljiro-1 (transfer at Hongik Uni). There will be two adults and two kids (7 and 9) with a roller suitcase and backpack each. Our flight arrives at 5:30pm Seoul time on a weekday. I was speaking to a friend who has been to Seoul and she didn't think catching the subway was a good idea and we should get a Taxi. A Taxi will be about $80 vs $12 for 4 of us if we catch the subway.

Has anyone taken the Commuter Train from Incheon around 6:00pm? Do you think 2 adults and 2 kids with luggage will be able to manage?

We are all used to using public transport and the kids are pretty self reliant if that makes a difference.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,221 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Subway Travel

Euljiro-1 is not far from Seoul station, so it's ok idea to ride AREX airport train(commuter or express) to Seoul station and take a taxi from there. There is no big problem tranfering at Hongik Uni station.

So it's up to you.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Subway Travel

Cost consideration aside, I must strongly advise you against catching a taxi out of ICN, especially being a (group of) foreigner.

There have been persistent concerns of scamming on foreigners by the taxi drivers especially between ICN and Seoul proper, due to its nature being long-distance crossing city limits on toll expressways, such malpractices haven't been fully rectified despite of multiple convictions and hefty penalties by the authority over the years. (taxi ride within Seoul running on meters, on the other hand, is relatively scam-free)

By Euljiro 1-ga, I presume it's the vicinity of either Hotel Lotte or Ibis Myeongdong. Airport limo bus 6015 serves Ibis directly, which also covers the general Myeongdong area. Given that the transfer at Hong-ik Uni. would be rather long and painstaking, you'd be far better off with airport limo bus than AREX+metro 2 combination, even if you suffer a bit of traffic jam in central Seoul. Besides, Line 2 during the evening rush-hours could be a real hell, especially with luggage.

Edited: 30 November 2013, 10:42
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Subway Travel

Agree with DeltaEagle. A taxi is silly. Bus is a good option. I always use bus from airport. Sometimes use train TO airport.

Seoul, South Korea
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Subway Travel

No bus No Taxis!! Subway allways with you.

you will be able to transfer at hongik unive(hong-dae-ip-gu) an go eul-ji-ro-ip-gu(north myeongdong or bunch of hotels zone) easy!! airport bus take costs 15000won per person then 60000, subway may....5000per/ person. And i really really recommend to buy bus card which makes you able to transfer from bus to subway and vice versa

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Subway Travel

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just need to weigh up the extra cost/traffic of the bus verses peak hour on the subway.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Subway Travel

Our Hotel in Myeongdong is really close to Hotel Ibis - with the 6015 bus is it really obvious what stop to get off? Do they announce 'this is the Hotel Ibis stop' or something like that?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Subway Travel

The bus has an automated announcement in English. I can't recall if on 6015 you ring bell to say "stop here" or not.

8. Re: Question about Subway Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 05:18