We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Currency?

Which Seoul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1,030 reviews
Save Topic
What Currency?

I am travelling to South korea in a few weeks time.I went into my bank to order currency and they were a bit cagey.So what is their currency ,is it available abroad or is it best to take dollars?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,688 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What Currency?

Korean Won http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korean_won

You can get money in exchange for UK Pound at Incheon International Airport.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,036 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Currency?

Don't get currency in UK. You'll pay a huge spread plus commission.

Change in Korea.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
195 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Currency?

Agree with ethelman2, don't exchange for Korean won (KRW) overseas. Just bring your major currency banknotes - British pounds or US dollars - and exchange them at Incheon airport for won notes. Better yet, if you like getting "the best" rate - exchange just a little at the airport, enough for one day, and do the majority of your trade at a downtown bank or money booth - you get a better rate at downtown banks. The Myeongdong area banks and exchange booths have some of the best rates. Banks are open 9 am to 4 pm weekdays.

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1,030 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Currency?

I am there for about 5 days.so if for example I took say £100 and $150 would that be ok?will the taxi from the airport accept foreign currency and how much does it cost to the centre?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,036 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Currency?

taking a taxi is fine but expensive, compared to the other ways, which are similarly convenient.

No, taxis do not take UK£ nor US$.

Taxi is 75000 won, abt £40.

Take a look at the questions on the right of this page- "the best way to arrive in Seoul".

I favour the limo bus, which takes you to most hotels.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
195 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Currency?

Taxis all take foreign credit cards, though so you can use those (British cards) - Visa, MasterCard, even Amex. In fact, all shops and retailers in Korea take foreign cards, too. Keep that in mind because then you don't need to pull as much cash while you're here. Agreed that taxi from airport is pricey, about $50 to $75. Try the airport EXPRESS (AREX) - only about $8 into downtown Seoul with a direct indoor link from the airport arrivals hall. Whisks you into the main train station in under an hour.

7. Re: What Currency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:16