We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

I think the subject says it all! i don't suppose someone could recommend a tour on which I can take along the kids?

Thanks!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

Two types of tour. One includes JSA/Panmunjeom, and actually enters DMZ. This is not possible with kids under 11 by law.

Other takes you into Civilian Control Zone, allows you to see into DMZ from outside. All of these are pretty identical. Your tour company collects you and takes you by bus to Imjingak. There you all get out and join a Paju Tours bus- maybe several operators small buses fit into one of these. Then off you go.

So choose a tour that suits you for time and price.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

Thanks very much!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

Actually I wouldn't recommend going to Imjingak. If you aren't going to the JSA/Panmunjeom - I don't believe it is worth it.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

The Imjingak based tour takes you to infiltration tunnel, to Dorasan observatory, to Dorasan station and peace village.

Beware most operators will drop you off at a Jade Factory or some other hideous place on the return journey.

As I said in my reply, UNCMAC rules specify no kids in JSA

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

Ian,

I'm in the same boat, kids will be 10 and 6 when we travel at the end of september. When are you travelling? Please make sure to post here what you ended up doing and if it was worth it or not.

While I'd like to see the JSA, it's unfortunately impossible with the kids. It would have been nice to leave them in the bus while the adults go visit ;) Based on my limited research, a few recommended tours from WINK https://www.facebook.com/groups/wheninkorea/ saying that it wasn't bad at all however I'm unsure if it's worth it or not.

For the tour that don't go to the JSA, are the souvenir shops pretty good too? I'd like to bring back a bottle of North Korean Whisky as well as a few North Korean beers... unless these can be bought fairly easy in South Korea?

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

A slight word of warning on When in Korea if you are travelling with a family - they are a tour group aimed mainly at expat teachers living in Korea. I went on a trip to Jeju with them and let's just say, it wasn't really suitable for families!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

Debb199: thanks for the warning. I'll avoid them since I'm with the kids but your comment makes me want to leave the kids at home.. sounds like a fun group. ;)

SG
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

oh gosh..i am planning to bring my husband to DMZ tour for our korea trip coz he is so into all these military stuff. He is going ot be disappointed if he can't go to JSA :( since we are travelling with an infant

I am quite confused over the tours availability. With an infant, the only place we cannot go to is just JSA? How about the 3rd tunnel and fence tour?

When we visit the 3rd tunnel, is it compulsory to take the stairs or we can opt for the monorail to go through?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

JSA is under UNC-MAC rules. No-one under 11.

You can visit the Civilian Control Zone, which goes to Dora Mountain observatory and Tunnel (etc). Not under UNCMAC control.

You MUST either go to Imjingak under your own steam and get a tour that involves the train up from the tunnel, OR (more likely) specify to your concierge that the train is essential. You CAN'T (as far as I have seen) simply pay extra when you get to the Tunnel.

SG
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DMZ Tour with young children (8 and 6)

Thanks Ethelman. I have emailed to TourDMz and Koridoor.

These are the 2 tours they had provided which we can go. For those who are interested, the links are below.

I probably will go for Tourdmz since the pickup is at a later timing and it is at LotteHotel as compared to Camp Kim USO....not too sure where it is also.

http://www.koridoor.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=travelInfo&wr_id=271&sca=JSA%2FDMZ&sfl=wr_subject&stx=morning+dmz&sop=and

tourdmz.com/english/07guid/tour2_1.php…