We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with a teenager

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with a teenager

Hi,

August will see our second trip to South Korea. My teenage daughter and I went to Seoul last year for a few days. This time round we're staying longer and also planning to visit Busan. Although we have friends there already, we're also planning to use the free youth hostel guides. Can anyone please recommend some good karaoke venues? Also, will my almost 16 year old be allowed into any bars? What is the cultural/social etiquette on teenagers having a glass of wine with a meal with their parents? Is this against the law or frowned upon in Korea? Yes, we're European!

Can anyone recommend evening activities for a teenager who loves kpop and dramas?

Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
DMZ and JSA Panmunjom Tour from Seoul
284 reviews
from US$134.90*
Half-Day Korean DMZ Tour from Seoul
118 reviews
from US$45.50*
Full-Day Essential Seoul Tour
51 reviews
from US$95.00*
Special Offer
Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ...
68 reviews
from US$39.60*
US$44.00
London, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with a teenager

You have to be 19 to purchase or consume alcohol in Korea. However this law is loosely enforced and it should not be a problem if you are having a glass of wine with your meal in a hotel restaurant. However having a drink in a bar alone would attract more attention and even when drinking with parents, it would certainly be frowned upon.

Karaoke comes in a very wide range of styles from a simple bar that happens to have machine in the corner to propose built buildings with private rooms and dedicated staff whose role ranges from taking your drinks order to something akin to prostitution (or so I heard), depending on the establishment. If budget is not an issue then there are karaokes at major hotels such as the Grand Hyatt and the Hilton. If you want to try something more local then any entertainment areas such as Myeongdong or Kangnam has a whole bunch. It is difficult to recommend a specific one as thse places tend to change ownership or at least the name regularly. I would ask the hotel or just wonder around and pick one.

The prices are are also variable from less then $50 for a couple hours with some beers to over $1,000 for the more exclusive establishments. In general, you are expected to pay an hourly charge for the karaoke and also there is usually a minimum drink order. The staff would expect a tip as well.

I know very little about Kpop or dramas so I will leave this question to those more qualified.

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with a teenager

Thank you!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with a teenager

Your daughter might want to try to join a fan club online. These fan clubs arrange to get tickets for live TV concerts like M Countdown or Inkigayo shows.

…straitstimes.com/music/2013/07/09/seouls-k-…

myseoulsearching.com/2012/12/k-pop-celeb-spo…

Luxury Su Noraebang in Hongdae is alright. There are many noraebang with Playstation sets, art deco furniture, and more. Ask your concierge to recommend one near your hotel. The average noraebang charges an hourly rental rate of maybe 20,000 to 25,000 won per hour and you can order drinks, including beer (at most establishments). Many of these places will overlook your daughter drinking beer because you are in your own private room. But I think most bars will refuse to serve alcohol to anyone under the legal drinking age.

Some ideas for things to do:

- Take a picture of yourself at one of the 15' tall digital media poles on the street near Gangnam station and immediately send it by e-mail to your friends on the spot.

- Go shopping at 8Seconds for the latest affordable fast fashion (in Myeongdong and Gangnam)

- Go have a splurge lunch at Samcheonggak (30,000 won per person and up) where a lot of movie and TV scenes are shot. Tour the beautiful grounds and view the hanok buildings.

- Dip your feet in the water at Cheonggyecheon stream.

- Check out the love locks at Seoul N Tower.

- Have a coffee at Coffeesmith at the center of trendy Garosugil.

- Get a haircut at one of the trendy salons in Apgujeongdong like Azure (MBLAQ visits here) or With Park Ki Tae (TVXQ), but be sure to reserve in advance

- Go to K-Pop Mall in Myeongdong: http://lanieinkorea.net/2013/09/03/kpopmall/

- Before departing to the gates, go upstairs of Incheon International Airport (above Immigration Departures) and visit Everysing where they sell K-pop memorabilia.

omonatheydidnt.livejournal.com/9572339.html

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with a teenager

Thank you

Incheon, South Korea
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with a teenager

If you like Kpop then your going to have to visit Myeongdong to satisfy their Kpop needs. Search google for Myeong-dong underground shopping area 명동 지하상가, Myeong-dong StarYA! (명동 스타야!),Myeong-dong StarYA! (명동 스타야!), and of course if they like SNSD and other groups from SM Entertainment, The SM TOWN Pop up store. Show it to them and see what they say!

For other things related to Kpop does she have a favorite group? Some famous groups have parents running cafes so maybe they can visit those locations.

6. Re: Travelling with a teenager

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 07:15