We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants close to Dongdaemun Market

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants close to Dongdaemun Market

Hi All,

I will be arriving in Seoul next week. My friend and I will be going to Dongdaemun Market at night. Before that, we would like have a good authentic Korean dinner. While I don't speak Korean my French friend does. Language barrier should not be a problem. Budget should not be a problem.

I have been doing some research but it is quite difficult to put everything together-the metro map, street map etc. Many thanks in advance.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants close to Dongdaemun Market

What do you mean by "authentic Korean"?

Sorry but Korean food covers a huge variety. Do you mean BBQ? Fish? Royal cuisine? Duck? Samgyetang?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants close to Dongdaemun Market

Hi Ethelman,

You are correct that my question is a tad general. Since you seem to know that area well, could you let me know if any of the restaurant below is close by. I am so bad with Korean names (esp with maps) and that really throw me off.

Song Jook Heon, Yong Su San, Fulfi Myun Oak, To Sok Chon, Si Hwa Dam, Hwa Oak, Goraebul, Junk Sik Dang, Jinju Jip, Byeokjae.

I am interested in anything that I don't get here in Los Angeles. We do have a sizable Korean Town here and most of them are BBQ. I am open to trying anything (varieties and price range). Congdu seems to be very good and interested but I probably will try it for lunch another day.

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants close to Dongdaemun Market

If you go to Google maps and search for Dongdaemun station, then using the "Search nearby" function, type in 'restaurants' and see what happens! The vast majority of these will be "authentic Korean".

Between Dongdaemun and Jongno is "mokja golmok" (or food alley), a street lined with restaurants. You can head there and see what takes your fancy!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants close to Dongdaemun Market

Sorry to say I don't know the name of any restaurants in that area. Or really any area of Seoul.

I know "that place round the corner in Insadong that does great Gwangju food" and the place just off piano alley that does amazing Samgyeopsal"- so places I've been to and enjoyed, and have gone back to.

Mostly though when out and about I just go in to a place whose food looks like I want, and is fairly full (of Koreans). Being terribly old, I also tend to look for chairs.

Apart from obviously western places, and places advertising fusion food (in English) I think most food is authentic.

I'm often amazed by the huge number of restaurants clustered together. How do they survive?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants close to Dongdaemun Market

Hi Ethelman,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will incorporate that into my itinerary.

6. Re: Restaurants close to Dongdaemun Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:15