We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying stuffs

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Buying stuffs

Dear TA forumites,

Need some suggestions here.

If I am to buy some souvenirs from Egypt, what should I be looking out for? I am thinking of some perfume, papyrus, local produce like nuts and snacks, honey, etc. For example in Turkey you have the Turkish Delights and Baklava, Pistachios and "Evil eye"; so what should I get from Egypt??

Also, what should the usual prices be??

For example:

1 bottle of perfume - 30LE??

1 alabaster bracelet - 50LE??

I badly need a yard stick as I am REALLY bad at haggling and negotiation. IN fact am beginning to get worried about the haggling ( and Tips) part already coming from a everything price-tagged country.

Thanks in advance.

Jac

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying stuffs

Hi Jac,

Relax, haggling is part of the fun and it gets easier! Australia is not a tipping culture either and everything is price tagged here too.

You can buy souvenirs in Egypt for very little money and very little effort. It helps to know the exchange rate so that you can put the price into perspective. Usually they ask for a high price, you go in at half and work up a little from there. Dont be too cut-throat though, wages are low and they spend long hours getting them. I usually think what would I be happy to pay at home and its usually well below that.

As an example - I bought a cat at the pyramids for 20LE, its about 20cm high with hieroglyphics etched into its back in gold. Its stunning and that is less than $4.50 Australian.

I bought a small papyrus for 30LE and a huge one for 600LE which I have had framed and would have cost much more if bought here.

I bought small mother of pearl & silver trinket boxes for about 25LE - 60LE each, there were all price levels and sizes.

I paid 60LE for three small bottles of parfum in an Egyptian box for gifts back home. I paid 900LE for a gold cartouche with my name on it but there were many other gold items (scarabs, ankh's etc) for as little as 50/60LE. You can spend as little or as much as you want and do haggle, it is the way of life.

Other ideas besides the ones given - sheesha pipes, hand blown glass bottles, incense , canopic jars, spices, wooden/leather camel, bellydance outfits. A visit to the Khan el Khalili will definitely give you ideas and you will find everything there.

Nefertari

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying stuffs

Dear Nefertari,

Thanks for the reply.

It was most helpful, at least now I know what to expect...

Thank you for your brilliant advise.

Now I have to start learning the art of haggling....and also the ability to say "no" after reading all the posts about street evndors :p

Have a great day!

Jac

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying stuffs

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297555-i9225-k522…

4. Re: Buying stuffs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 15:16