We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does this say?

Larkfield, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What does this say?

Can anyone tell me what the following says?

شبقهؤش

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does this say?

I can't really read it and don't know how to blow it up - but it looks like 'Shabakha Wash' Which may translate to 'bad net'. If it arrived as an sms it may refer to the net being down.

Larkfield, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does this say?

lol thanks for that.

The reason behind me asking is that my husband wants to get the word africa tattooed on him in arabic after a recent trip to egypt and africa being where 'his people' originated from.

Someone said the above script said Africa!

See this is the trouble we have is we have looked on the net and seen it spelt diffrently all over the place and clearly dont want to get it put on him for it to be wrong! It defeats the point.

I have posted on another forum about it being offensive to people - do you think this would be the case? Is there anywhere on the body where it would be more offensive?

Help appreciated!

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does this say?

الإفريقيّ

إفريقيا

Ok - The top one says "African", the bottom one says "Africa".

If you want to check and make sure:

http://www.tps.edu.ee/nastik/ar-en/ This is the link to an English Arabic dictionary. Hope it looks good!

Larkfield, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does this say?

Thanks for your help....

I just tried that site and Africa comes up as something different to what you posted - I copied it and put it in word and you can view it clearer.

So far on the net I have found the following which all say africa aparently!

شبقهؤش

افريكا

إفريقيا

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What does this say?

Ok - I think we have a problem in that Africa is pronounced differently in Arabic. The arabic word that you have in the middle is a litteral translation of the letters A-F-R-I-C-A. However - this word doesn't really exist in arabic as the letter used for the 'K' in this version is the one that sounds right if said in English - but isn't really the word Africa in Arabic. The lower word you have translates phonetically as 'Afriqia' which is more true to the Arabic tongue. The words I gave you are basically the same but with more of the phonetic vowels floating above and below the words. Still not sure about that first one though!

Larkfield, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What does this say?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Really appreciate your help.

He wants it to read right in Arabic, not English and if you say that the 2nd one you posted is the best then we will go with that.

He wants it so that when were in Egypt or anywhere else, someone who understand Arabic wont think he is an idiot with the wrong word / spelling on him!

إفريقيا

is what you recommend?

(Thanks again)

7. Re: What does this say?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 13:17