We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What will I miss with this tour?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
What will I miss with this tour?

We're close to reserving this 27 day tour:

travelinstyle.com/egypt/24daysluxuryPetra.htm

with Travel in Style and would like to hear opinions about whether it covers all the 'not to be missed' places in Egypt.

It is mostly based on their 24 day tour but we've added the short trip over to Jordan in order to see Petra but are still seeing as much of Egypt as we can while working in a day here and there to catch some rest.

thanks,

Chris

Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Falcon Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Safaris
Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
320 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What will I miss with this tour?

Well, this tour certainly covers most of the major sites and many minor ones that sound really great (such as Minya/Amarna). I'm sure it will be great fun. Here are a few other sites/activities that are not included.

CAIRO area. Dahshur, Saqqara & Memphis (other pyramids, tombs, etc.). Overnight trip into the White Desert.

LUXOR area. Dawn hot air balloon ride over the West Bank sites (Valley of the Kings). Medinet Habu temple on West Bank. Sunset felluca sail on the Nile.

ASWAN area. Nubia Museum, evening sound & light show at Philae Temples. Boat ride to tour Kalabsha & Kertassi temples.

ALEXANDRIA. Do try to see the library & planetarium lit up at night; they are spectacular! You will probably be staying out on the eastern edge of Alex near Montazah Palace and Gardens. It is about a 25-minute drive from the center of town, but it is a very lovely area.

I noticed that this itinerary mentions Business Class flights when available. Most of the domestic Egypt flights are about 1 hour long, not long enough for Business Class to make a difference. We took several domestic flights when we were there and I don't think the small planes we were on even had a Business Class section. Business Class would be fabulous on the international flights, but this tour does not include them.

Egypt is so amazing and different from anywhere else! I'd suggest that you make the most of all sightseeing opportunities while you are there, and not worry too much about having enough time to rest (unless that is a priority for you, of course). The Nile cruise provides "down time" and you will have lots of time to relax in Sharm, too.

Have a fantastic trip!

Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
320 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What will I miss with this tour?

Another thing not on the Travel in Style Tour, which was a highlight of my trip, is the sound & light show in Abu Simbel. For you this would require staying overnight in a local hotel and flying back to Aswan the next day. Of course, there is a lot to do in Aswan, too. The camel ride to a Nubian Village sounds really great! I would have loved to do that.

Another item I noticed about your itinerary is that it has you going to the Giza pyramids in the afternoon. It can get dangerously hot there during the summer months (think Death Valley). If you are going in August I would expect they would take you there in the morning instead. But maybe you are going at the end of the year, when it makes sense to go there in the afternoon.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What will I miss with this tour?

I also forgot to include when we are going....sorry. We'll be there in Feb 2008. We're hoping this will make for a cooler and less crowded visit.

I'm finding your comments helpful so please keep them coming.

Chris

4. Re: What will I miss with this tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 09:19