We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel reviews

perth wa
Level Contributor
112 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
hotel reviews

i'm getting mixed messages from the ta reviews and am getting confused. we are staying in the conrad in cairo and the old cataract in aswan in october. i'm confused by the reviews, one says the catarct is great the next says it's terrible. two people stayed in the hotel a couple of days apart and gave totally opposing reviews. the same with the conrad, first a good one and then a few days later a bad one. one person gave the cateract pool a terrible review and the next said it was a lovely pool.

would appreciate some comments from people who may have been there recently. are the reviewers staying in the same hotels even?

thanks

chris

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel reviews

I have struggled with the same problem in the past and for our upcoming trip to Europe, Egypt and Petra. Here is how I approach the reviews on hotels.

Throw out all of the 2.0's or less focus on those left. Now if 75% are 2.0 or less then there is likely a problem.

There are a lot of people who could not be happy if they were met at the airport and had their feet rubbed all the way to the hotel. The greeting might still get trashed for not including a martini. lol

I'll give you an example. Reading reviews last nigt on hotels in Rome I saw two compliants on one hotel and poor ratings with their biggest complaint being the staff did not meet and greet them at the bottom of the steps in front of the hotel (3 star). to carry their luggage up to the second floor lobby..... it was just unacceptable!

2 others were taken back by the ugly construction in the entrance (outside) the hotel and felt the need to trash it for that although both agreed the noise was not a problem it was just that they should have been warned ahead by the hotel during reservations.

I am not proposing one should go through life wearing rose colored glasses but one certainly shouldn't think that it's all about you either. Life is too short.

If you are really worried about the feedback of one or two in particular get a flavor of the writer by searching for other feedback they've left to see if they are so negative about everything that nothing would make them happy.

If none of that works....just go with what you gut tells you as you read the info you have.

Have a great trip,

Gottagocit

perth wa
Level Contributor
112 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel reviews

thanks gottagocit(i think thats it) had good laugh reading it. you seem to have the right idea. think we just go with the majority.spending 10 days in morocco before egypt, the tour there dosen't give out the hotel names so no reviews and no concerned wife!!

am sure she'll get used to it and have a good time. too bad, she's booked and paid for now so no going back.

thanks for the help, hope you have a nice trip too

regards

chris

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel reviews

Chnnang,

One more thing I like to do that I forgot to include. If you have the possible hotels down to a handful go to sites like Frommers, Fodors or other guidebook sites and see if they have the hotels on their recommended list. If they do you can often read helpful info that may validate or conflict with some concerns you've read. At least it's more data.

Gottagocit