We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Nasser Cruise or Nile Cruise

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Nasser Cruise or Nile Cruise

If you had to choose, which one would it be?? Or would you just do both?

That's what I'm thinking.

Thanks so much,

Christine

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Nasser Cruise or Nile Cruise

Depends what you want out of your holiday - if you want a holiday full of serenity, few people and a fantastic experience - pick lake Nasser.

If you want to see history and life in Egypt combined - pick the Nile cruise. If you have enough time and money - do both and get the best of both worlds!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,327 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Nasser Cruise or Nile Cruise

If I had not seen much of Egypt I would choose the Nile cruise. You take in Luxor, Aswan and several places in between - Edfu, Kom Ombo, Abydos, Dendara, and others. Both Luxor and Aswan are worth a week in addition.

Now I have seen many of these things I would love to do a cruise on Lake Nasser. I think it is more restful. There are only a few places you can actually get into the sites - about four I think - but it must be scenic and it would be nice to overnight at Abu Simbel.

I wouldn't do both in one go. I would add a few days in Luxor/Aswan, or a trip to the Red Sea if you like, on to the Nile Cruise. Oh, and a couple of days in Cairo.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Nasser Cruise or Nile Cruise

Thank you so much!!!

I think I am trying to fit too much in one trip. Our local paper (travel section) covered the Lake Nasser cruise a couple of weeks ago, and I thought that would be a fanastic addition.

However, I've never been to Egypt, and I've always wanted to see the pyramids, plus I'd love to go diving in the Red Sea. It probably would make the most sense (I have about 3 wks) to do a few days in Cairo, the Nile Cruise (I've also heard of a place - Simbal??), and some time at the Red Sea.

I'll definitely do Nasser Lake, but I'll save that experience for later.

I so appreciate everyones' advice. If you ever need info on the US, just let me know.

Christine

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Nasser Cruise or Nile Cruise

Hi Christine,

I know what you mean about trying to fit in too much. You have a good itinerary, a few days in Cairo - fly to Luxor - Nile Cruise to Aswan - you can do a day trip to Abu Simbel from Aswan (not to be missed). Few days in the Red Sea area ( Sharm el Sheikh) where you can take a day trip to Petra Jordan or Mt Sinai or even Jerusalem. Ive been there a few times and still havent done the lake Nasser cruise,it's on my list though. Im always saving something for the next trip. Have a great trip!

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Nasser Cruise or Nile Cruise

Hi Christine ...I recently did Abu Simbel...it was definitely worth seeing...read my post about it on the AS forum ;-)

Here is a link to it....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297540-i9436-k121…

Karen

6. Re: Lake Nasser Cruise or Nile Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 03:16