We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alexandria or El Alamein day trip?

Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
305 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Alexandria or El Alamein day trip?

Hi, all I would appreciate your advice: we are leaving in less than 2 weeks (Omigosh!!!) and will be in Cairo for a few days. We will be touring with Debbie Senters. We have planned to do her Alexandria day trip, which sounds really interesting, but I am wondering if a trip to El Alamein might not be more interesting. We have kids who are really interested in WWII, and they have visited the Normandy beaches. So, this might be a neat addition. This will be towards the end of our 2 weeks in Egypt, so we might be kind of antiqued out, if that makes sense.

Have any of you made the trip to El Alamein? Is it a long drive? We have a van and driver since we are a largish group. I have read that the museum there is good - is it really? Is there anything else? Anywhere to eat?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
El Alamein
El Alamein
Matrouh Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alexandria or El Alamein day trip?

You may be sadly disappointed doing the Alamein trip instead of Alexandria (not that I'm biased!!!)

In all honesty - unless you really are interested in the war graves, or are intent on locating a specific grave - or were staying overnight in Alexandria - then you may find Alamein a long drive with not much at the end. Admittedly the drive down the coast is a lovely drive - with fantastic turquoise sea like in the Caribbean. But it takes over an hour and a half from Alex - so maybe a just under a four hour drive from Cairo across the desert road (which isn't anything like the desert road you may be expecting!) And at the end of this drive you can expect to see several different well kept cemeteries with expansive views over the sea. The museum is nothing to get excited about - and I'm one that loves ANY kind of museum! Re places to eat there - yes well, take a boxed lunch is all I can suggest.

Alexandria on the other hand has a lot more to offer - and is a lot easier to get to - and doesn't have to be all museums. Alex is a lovely seaside city and worth seeing on that basis alone.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Alexandria Governorate, Egypt
Caribbean Bar
Caribbean Bar
507 Reviews
Hurghada, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
305 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alexandria or El Alamein day trip?

Thanks! I was kind of looking forward to El Alamein, but will reconsider. We would be going directly from Cairo.

Is the Greco Roman museum in Alex still closed?

Mentioned in this post
El Alamein
El Alamein
Matrouh Governorate, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alexandria or El Alamein day trip?

The Graeco Roman Museum is still closed, as is the Royal Jewellery Museum. But The National Museum, The underwater antiquities museum in the Alexandria Library and the Roman Amphitheatre and villa of the birds are all open and are all worthy of a visit. The Fort of Qait Bey is a lovely place - if only for the fantastic views all down the length of Alex's coastline.

There is plenty to see in Alex - and it needn't all be antiquities. Take note though! - It's been a bit wet and windy here this last week. Although the sun has shone today!

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Alexandria Governorate, Egypt
Roman Amphitheatre
Roman Amphitheatre
299 Reviews
Alexandria, Egypt
4. Re: Alexandria or El Alamein day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 02:20