We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payment problems with Egyptair website

UK
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Payment problems with Egyptair website

I've been trying to book return tickets from CAI>LXR on the Egyptair website. I'm using Egypt as home country as widely advocated on this forum. Everything is fine until the final step of processing the payment when I get the message that there has been an undefined error.

I've tried this several times & even allowed a 12 hour gap between my last attempt. Points I have noted:

Phone number - been using our UK number.

When you reach the ID input page it asks for the credit card of both travellers; No option to select passport, just Visa or Mastercard. I've selected the latter and just used passport numbers even for myself who's card is being used for payment. As far as I can make out that particular page isn't even secure so, there's no way I'm putting my credit card number in there anyway.

I also note that following each attempt I note that the price rises, first significantly, then in increments of about £4 each time. Tried again 12 hours later and back to the original price of £70 for two.

Anyone else experienced/having problems with this?

I have to say that of all the airline booking engines I've used and believe me that's a considerable number, Egyptair.com is the worst I've come across.

I'm reaching the point where I'm going to bite the bullet and pay £204 to book the flights with ebookers.

Dehra Dun
Level Contributor
251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payment problems with Egyptair website

Hi,

I did the same booking a fortnight ago, it worked well only with Internet Explorer. Initially i tried to do it through Firefox, it showed odd errors every time.

They dont really check phone numbers, i had put in Indian mobile numbers ;-)

If nothing else works, try from a different computer. It may work.

Nitin

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,918 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payment problems with Egyptair website

I had lots of problems with the site. Flight prices changing , flights there one minute gone the next then back again. I think a lot of people have a problem or two! I can only say that in the end I booked my 6 (yes glutton for punishment!!!) flights and everything went ok.

Sometimes it seems to be maybe the firewall you have. What worked for me in the end was going on to tools at the top of my taskbar and clicking on delete history. Might be worth a try.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Payment problems with Egyptair website

Hi I think the problem is because you are putting in passport numbers and not cc number. The site is secure as remember checking myself and Im sure it is in the FAQ section.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,918 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payment problems with Egyptair website

There was a thread on it on here about it being secure. Nobody has had any problems. Think it was on the Sharm forum. As Nana said check the FAQ on the website...should reassure you.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payment problems with Egyptair website

I also called my credit card company to allow access for Egypt purchases. It worked out fine after that (however, I did wait for the price to drop back to the original)

UK
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Payment problems with Egyptair website

I've just had another look at their website & the page where it requests a credit card as ID is most certainly not encrypted - no way am I putting my credit card number in there.

The only secure part of the booking engine is the final processing of the payment.

New York, USA
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Payment problems with Egyptair website

Just looked at the site and wow, they've changed it since I booked tickets a couple months ago. I see the field you're talking about that now only lets you input Visa/Master information, where before you could put passport/IDcard numbers. I'd have to agree that the problem is that you're putting a phone number where a CC number should be. If trying to fool the system doesn't work (putting the exact number of digits that your credit card number would be), and you don't want to put your CC info on that page then I think you might have to look at another option.

TB08

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Payment problems with Egyptair website

Hi this is in the FAQ section

Yes, using your credit card to pay online via our website is completely secure, EgyptAir makes every possible effort to maintain customer’s confidentiality when securing an online payment. Also all of your personal information is encrypted as it travels over the Internet. We have in place Secure Sockets Layer technology (SSL) which encrypts all information and keeps the data private and confidential, making it safe to transmit your credit card number or your personal information over the Internet.

I have booked quite a few internal flights and had no probs. Kazl used it quite a few times last year with no probs. If you are still not convinced send them an email for confirmation / clarity of security.

UK
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Payment problems with Egyptair website

There appears to be a difference of opinion between Firefox & IE. Unlike Firefox, IE suggests that the page is indeed encrypted. Perhaps that's a compatibility issue?

Anyway I'll try again with IE & use CC as ID.

I'll post what happens later.

UK
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Payment problems with Egyptair website

Well I've tried using the credit card as ID's but, still the getting the same problem when the payment starts processing - comes back as an undefined error has occurred.

I think I'll give up - life's too short to waste my time on Egyptair.