We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

If an ATM gives you a message that your card has been taken and to contact the Bank, DON'T walk away immediately. Wait to make sure that your transaction doesn't continue.

This happenned to us is Luxor. I went to take out cash and the machine told me that the card has been retained and to contact the bank. After standing there for a while wondering what on earth I was going to do, it came up with the screen asking how much money I wanted to withdraw. If I'd walked away, anyone could have taken money out of my bank account.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

Good tip. ALWAYS advise your bank that you are going abroad, when and where, or this will happen. Also check what your bank will charge to withdraw as it is normally £1.50 each time but some banks have no charges.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

I think the title of this thread is a bit wrong... the ATMs are very much real - but not functioning properly. But it is indeed a very good point as it has happened to me a couple of times over the years here and fortunately I did not walk away too fast.

Stanford-Le-Hope...
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

Just read your post and what a good tip, you dont always think of things like that when on holiday.

I will be letting my bank know when we go to egypt, just in case.

I do remember when we first went to Malaga we had a problem getting money out of a cash machine, it took ages, we had to try twice, but we did get our cash out.

Dont always think of things like this when you travel.

Great tip and i will be letting my bank know that we will be in Egypt, just in case of any problems.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

Hi Sindy - the banks recognise that your card is being used abroad and that it could be stolen ( if you havent informed them that you are going ) and that is why the card gets ' eaten '. It is a good protection for us though as their is so much credit and debit card fraud these days. I had my debit card cloned and was unaware until the bank called me.

Stanford-Le-Hope...
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

Lucky i didnt have my card eaten and we had also got some travellers checks through the bank, so i think they relised we were away.

But i will make sure the bank knows and any credit card we have we will inform them aswell, that we we be away.

I do remember feeling imbarresed standing their, waiting and waiting for my cash to come out.

After that we used a differant machine and was fine.

Julie x

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

LOL it gives the impression that one is skint!

Stanford-Le-Hope...
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

Yes it does, when you have a que of people behind you and hubby comes over to ask "whats the matter".

Everyone is staring at you then he tells you to move out of the way so he can have a look as if this will help, and then like magic the money is their.

So yes, i felt like a right idoit, and told him next time your going to the cash machine.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

This is a known problem - and as far as I know affects only one banks ATM's. The bank concerned is Banque Misr. If you do use this bank and see the notice that you card has been retained - wait patiently and approximately a minute later it will continue with your transaction.

I always advise everyone to only use ATM's attached to Banks that are open - or that are attached to your hotel. Nothing worse than a bank sucking your card in during out of business hours - especially if you are a tourist!

Also retain all receipts - even for failed transactions and check them against your bank statements when you get home - on very rare occasions the machine will tell you it is unable to complete the transaction - but when you get home it will have been deducted from your account. It's easy enough to sort out - but retaining your receipt will help a lot more.

Just to make you all feel better after reading this - I have been a victim of the Banque Misr card retained thing - and also been a victim of the false deduction/ transaction cancelled thing. In over 10 years - I have only had each of these things happen to me once!

But it is something to be aware of.

New York, USA
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

Thanks for this warning, and thanks for offering more insight EgyptianGoddess.

TB08

10. Re: Beware of Fraudulent ATMs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 19:16