We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeper Wagon Trains

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
69 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeper Wagon Trains

I read a Egypt travel book dated 2003 and in the book , it mentioned that the sleeper wagons are not really safe because of snipers taking shots at foreigners . Has anyone heard about this

New York, USA
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeper Wagon Trains

No. I took the sleeper train in 2006 and it was perfectly safe. Loads of tourists take it everyday and I've never heard of safety being an issue. Clean toilets towards the end of the journey on the other hand... :-)

TB08

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeper Wagon Trains

There was a problem quite a few years ago - and I only remember because I was on a train at the time it happened (not the sleeper though) This was an isolated incident involving a drug landlord somewhere in middle Egypt, the railway ran straight through this area of land. I forget precisely where the incident happened.

The train I was on was stopped from proceeding in Cairo - and all foreigners were taken off the train as a precaution. I don't say this to scare you - more to say that this incident happened once - and is probably the incident referred to in your book. The speed with which all foreigners were taken off the train is indicative of the level of care that Egyptians feel for tourists. Should it ever happen again - I'm sure that similar precautions will take place again.

If there have been any other incidents involving 'snipers' I'm not aware of it.

3. Re: Sleeper Wagon Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 02:15