We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nile cruise

coventry
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
nile cruise

Hi am thinking of booking either the presidental nile cruise 3t or 4t or the Nile Discovery Cruise 4t+ with Thomson departing on 8/101/2008.

Opinions on which cruise ship to choose would be helpful, but the most important information i need is the trips are already part of the holiday cost but what time do you need to get up in the morning to go on them or are the majority in the late afternoon.

Will it be to hot in october to visit the sites

Thanks

TC

England
Level Contributor
297 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nile cruise

We went with Thompson on their 5T cruise, on the Regency 11 boat. It was the best ever for food, service etc.

cant praise this ship enough.

England
Level Contributor
297 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nile cruise

Trips are nearly all very early in the morning.

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nile cruise

Hi TC,

I haven't been on the Discovery, but I know the PNC-boats very well. According to what I just heard on these forums, many of the PNC-boats are recently renovated, and that is very good news. The boats themselves are not deluxe or anything, but very nice, with professional staff and very good food.

October is a very good month to travel to Egypt. It will be nice and hot during the day, but by no means boiling. Nights can be a little chilly, and aircondition in tour-buses and restaurants can also make you rather cold. So bring long trousers, socks and a jacket or a cardigan for cold evening or time spent in a bus/restaurant.

The majority of trips are done very early morning, although usually not quite as early as during summer, where it is not uncommon to be out and about at the crack of dawn. Sites open at 6AM in summer. However, there may still be sites for which you have to get up very, very early regardless of whether it is summer or not. Abu Simbel for instance.

Please have a look at those Inside Articles about cruising, tipping and hotel/cruise standards in Egypt.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294200-c101366/Egy…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294200-c94591/Egyp…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294200-c95881/Egyp…

coventry
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: nile cruise

Hi

Thanks for all your comments, is it possible to be a bit more specific on what times the trips start, the reason i ask this is we really do want to see the sites, but if they start to early we might be better just going to Luxor, and maybe visiting some of the sites at our leisure

TC

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nile cruise

Hi TC,

Actually, it is usually up to the tour-leader to decide when they want to begin the tour. As there are so many cruises doing the Nile in peak-season, it is impossible to be more specific.

During peak-season, some tour-leaders still prefer to begin as early as possible, as that give the guests the afternoon free. Also, it depends on when you arrive at the different sites. Some cruises do Kom Ombo at night because they dock there en route to Aswan, others in the morning. It really depends on the schedule of the boat and the tour-leaders planning. Sometimes a planned trip has to be altered because of various things, like waiting time around the lock in Esna etc.

Louise

England
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: nile cruise

A good guess for an average time would be about 8am but dont quote me on it. Like other posters have said it depends on many things

coventry
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: nile cruise

Hi

Thanks for all your advice.

One last thing is there a great deal of difference in the ships 3star to 4star. would i benefit from upgrading from 3star to 4star it is about £150.00 difference to upgrade

Thanks

TC

8. Re: nile cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 16:22