We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a museums/attractions pass for Egypt?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a museums/attractions pass for Egypt?

I am going on a 2-week tour of Egypt, visiting Cairo and the Monuments along the Nile/Aswan/Sinai. the trip does not include admission fees, and I know from experience that the tour guides will get tickets for us plus a "surcharge"- I want to avoid this and wonder if anyone knows if there is a pass I can buy either in advance or at the airport in Cairo? One that covers lots of attractions?Thanks!

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a museums/attractions pass for Egypt?

Sorry - but no such thing exists in Egypt. It would be a good idea though - but can't really see it ever coming into existence as so much money is generated through the monuments.

The only way to get things at a reduced rate is as a student or as a teacher (ISIC/ITIC cards)

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a museums/attractions pass for Egypt?

Hi Mozziehater,

Your guides cannot get the tickets for a "surcharge" unless you agree upon it ;o) All tickets for all monuments in Egypt are clearly marked with exact price! And not just in Egyptian numbers. So that is easy to avoid. Also, it is easy to obtain the tickets yourself, as most ticket-offices are easy to find as well.

However, your guide will most likely offer to get your tickets for you, and if you suspect "monkey-business" I suggest you just ask to see the ticket after it has been bought. But it shouldn't be a problem.

Other than that, I agree with Egyptiangoddess, it would be a good thing to have a sort of a pass for the monuments in Egypt. And, if you want to get a discount (which is actually rather good, mostly 50% off, get one of the cards Egyptian Goddess suggested, that is, if you are entitled to one of them ;o)

Have a great trip

Louise

3. Re: Is there a museums/attractions pass for Egypt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 16:19