We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

Los Angeles
14 posts
Save Topic
Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

Hello,

My wife and I are visiting Egypt for the first time in mid-November for 7 full days (get in on Mon night and leave following Tue morning). We have 2 choices:

(1) Make our own arrangements to visit Cairo, Luxor, (and possibly) one other location (suggestions welcome!)

(2) Take a Nile cruise

What are some pros / cons of the 2 choices? With choice (1) all our hotels will be free (Starwood points), so it is economically attractive.

Thanks!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

If I had only 7 full days I would spend one in Cairo to see Giza and the Museum. Fly to Luxor late on that day or early next morning. Spend one day in Luxor, cruise 4 night trip to Aswan. See little of Aswan before leaving.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

Monday - Arrival to Cairo at night.

Tuesday and Wednesday - sightseeing in Cairo.

Wednesday eve - Flight to Luxor.

Thursday - check-in on cruise ship (5-day cruise)

and sightseeing in Luxor.

Friday morning - more sightseeing in Luxor. Cruise ships usually leave the second day after lunch.

Saturday eve - ship arrival to Aswan .

Sunday - sightseeing in Aswan.

Monday - Check-out from cruise ship and more sightseeing in Aswan.

Monday eve - flight back to Cairo.

Note that cruise ships don't sail 24 hours a day. They spend at least one day in Luxor and another one in Aswan. So you have plenty of time to enjoy visiting both cities. You'll also have time to visit the towns and temples of KomOmbo and Edfu.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

A BIG MISTAKE.... Ship arrival to Aswan should read Sunday eve and not Saturday. Sorry

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

As other posters have advised you can combine the two options. Don't miss out on the Nile cruise!

Los Angeles
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

Thanks to every one for the advice!

It looks like the Nile cruise is pretty much a "must do". I've heard about the Sonesta cruises but the dates they have don't seem to work out given my itinerary. Are there any other operators who you would suggest? Also, what would be the best way to book these in advance (I live in Los Angeles)?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

Try to reverse the Nile cruise and start from Aswan instead. you might be able to find suitable dates.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

We traveled on the Monaco and loved it. If you can upgrade to their Pres Suite and get private guides and cars for the shore excursions plus enjoy the double sized cabin. If you can work it out I would avoid taking the reverse route (Aswan to Luxor). The timing of the stops is not nearly as good and you are much more rushed.

Here is a link to the company who runs the ship:

www.sakkaragroup.com/nCruises.aspx…

We used Omar at Travel in Style in San Francisco for our 27 day tour and he beat the prices for the cruise and the upgrade on the Monaco but it may have been due to our lengthy trip. If you want to contact him just in case or look at his website at:

travelinstyle.com/egypt/Nilecruise_list.html

It may be helpful.

Chris

Los Angeles
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

Hi,

Is Aswan -> Luxor vastly inferior than Luxor -> Aswan? I am finding it difficult to get dates to work for the latter.

Also, would a 3-day Nile cruise be reasonably sufficient or is a 4-day pretty much a minimum requirement?

Thanks!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

What I remember from our planning was you are just rushed more on Aswan to Luxor. The river of course runs south to north and you'll travel faster on the river but the timing of the dockings works against you.

Check out TIS's Luxor to Aswan trip details:

http://www.travelinstyle.com/egypt/ttv.html

and compare it to the same route in the reverse direction at:

http://www.travelinstyle.com/egypt/botn.html

I haven't looked at it in a while but perhaps it will help. It's the typical plan followed by all the ships TIS uses.

Sorry I am not familier with a 3 day trip.

Chris

10. Re: Need your advice - Nile cruise or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 09:30