We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry-on bag domestic flights

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Carry-on bag domestic flights

Need some packing / suitcase help.

I'm flying all over Egypt on Embraer 170s...

I'm trying to find out what the overhead bins are like. Can I fit a small rolling suitcase (or under my seat)?

I've been on Continental's Embraer 145s, and they make you gate-check anything bigger than a large purse. I've never seen "gate-checking" outside of the U.S. -- do they do it in Egypt?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry-on bag domestic flights

Some international lines do check the size of hand luggage but only for international flights. However Egypt Air doesn't do it.

Note that gate-checking is very thorough at airports in Egypt. It's common that they open and search your hand luggage. Sometimes they also search suitcases. Security in Egypt is not-to-mess-with.

CHEERS!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry-on bag domestic flights

Thanks Mossifio, but I'm not concerned about getting thru security, (I know how to follow all the stupid 3 oz / plastic bag rules!)...

but will my bag fit on the small plane?

"Gate Checking" is when they let you thru security, but when you get to the gate they take your bag and check it -- but they give it back to you when your plane lands at the next airport's gate, you don't have to go to the baggage claim. I've only ever seen it in the U.S., so I'm not sure....

The reason I want to do this is I have the WORST luck with lost baggage. My friends think I'm cursed and are afraid to fly with me!

3. Re: Carry-on bag domestic flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 16:19