We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help- 1st timer to egypt with kids?

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
need help- 1st timer to egypt with kids?

Hi-

I am in the process of planning a visit to Egypt for our family of five (2 adults and 3 kids ages 9,12, 14 yrs). We are interested in Cairo, Luxor, and maybe St. Catherine's Monastery and a day or two relaxing and trying snorkeling on the Red Sea. We have 9-10 days to plan with, and are looking at the first week in April.

We travel extensively and always plan our own trips as we like to go our own pace and set our own "off the beaten path" itinerary. We are not into tour groups, but I am not 100% comfortable doing Egypt without a guide.

I would like to book the hotels on our own- we are members of several chains and can get substantial discounts. We would however appreciate someone to handle details like airport transfers, local transportation, etc and and a knowledgeable guide for sightseeing- without going with the standard timeclock tour.

Any suggestions?

I would really like to just hire a private tour guide, as most of the tours I have found seem pretty pricey esp. considering some do not include entrance fees, transportation or transfers.

Also, It seems to me that the tour companies seem to pack an immense amount of stuff into one day as well. Is it really feasible to see the pyramids at Giza, Memphis, Sakkara and the Cairo museum in one day?

I'd appreciate any tips- Thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
686 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help- 1st timer to egypt with kids?

Hi,

Sounds like I have the same "scenario" as you. My children are a bit older (18 and 14) and we had the greatest time in Egypt in December last year.

I did not join a tour group, booked hotels and air fares myself because just like you I have to cash out my hotel points.

Egypt is wonderful. You can absolutely travel indenpendently. You can hire a private tour guide for a few days in Cairo just for convenience.

If you click on my user name, you can view the trip report that my son put together. He used my notes on the trip to compile the report. Hopefully, the information in the reports will be useful to you.

all the best with your trip.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help- 1st timer to egypt with kids?

Not sure if this is how you would want to do it (or if I am understanding your post right!) but you can hire a guide for each place you go to who would meet you at the airport and take you to the sites. Lots do this on here and I have myself a few times with no problems. You can get good recommendations by going on the appropriate forums(ie Luxor, Cairo, Sharm)

www.egyptair.com have all the internal flights available in Egypt and if you put egypt as your home country this will mostly give you the best prices.

If you post more info about which order you want to do things/how you intend to do things it may help a bit more with replies.

Hope this helps a little.

Karen

3. Re: need help- 1st timer to egypt with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 09:20