We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Library of Alexandria hours?

Colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Library of Alexandria hours?

When does the library of alexandria open? Is it worth the visit?

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Library of Alexandria hours?

You may find the following website helpful in terms of opening hours and fees:

bibalex.org/English/…info.htm

Is it worth the visit? Depends on the person, I have friends I wouldn't dream of sending down there and friends that may just like to see it from the outside. Not knowing your personal tastes, I can only advise on the things I like and dislike about it.

It really is a fantastic piece of architecture, if this interests you then it really is worth seeing inside and out because it really is different and when viewed against the rest of Alexandria is quite a startling juxtaposition.

If you're interested in history, the antiquities museum down in the lower levels is worth a look - it's not that big - but covers the whole range of history from Pharaonic to Coptic and Islamic. You can buy a ticket to just enter the museum(s) if you don't actually want to go into the library - tickets for the museum are available just outside the museum entrance on the lower level.

If you only have a few hours in Alex and a full schedule - it is possible to get a good feel for the place from outside. If the National Museum is on your list of places to visit - you could miss out on the antiquities museum in the Library as they overlap quite a bit.

2. Re: Library of Alexandria hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 16:19