We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Topic
Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

Hi! :) I would like to visit Rosetta (Rashid) while in Alexandria. Any ideas how can I better get there?

Can’t see any trains going, so I suppose a car should be an option? How long (and how much) will it take then to cover these 65km?

Thank you very much for any input!

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

A car will take about 45 mins to an hour depending on how rapidly the driver likes to travel. Not sure how much it will cost, as a rough guess - if you use an ordinary taxi and stayed there for about 4 hours I would guess maybe about 150 LE. That is only a guess though - may cost more or less.

Rashid is a lovely little town, the museum has just recently reopened, however a lot of the Ottoman period houses are closed for renovation. Ones that are open include the mill (sorry but I forget the name), the two houses at the far end of the market and the bath house is also open. If you make the Museum the first stop they should be able to point you in the right direction of the houses that are open.

The fort is a bit further past the town centre - may take another ten minutes to get there in a taxi - but is a fascinating ride through brick making yards and boat yards. The fort is only small - but makes a nice trip out.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

EgyptianGoddess, thank you very very much!! :))

I've been searching through the Alex forum yesterday and found your brilliant earlier post regarding Rashid, which has only strengthened my initial intention to see it :)

Yes, I did have in mind seeing those Ottoman houses – fortunately the Rough Guide has even the map of the town, so I hope I would be able to locate them. And the mill must be near Bait El Amaziali (spelling?), Abu Shakhim mill, right? :)

Once again, thank you so much for all your help! :)

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

That was the name of the Mill! Sometimes written as Abu Shaheen.

If you have the map you'll be well armed and it will be a lot easier to navigate around. I just checked and the houses that I think are open are those in the area of the Ramadan house and Bassiouni House, the museum staff will be able to tell you if this is right before you set off.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

Thanks a lot, EG! :))

I believe even with some houses closed, the museum, the open houses, Mosques (at least Zaghloul Mosque), the mill and the fort are more than enough to provide for an enjoyable trip!

As for the houses, I was generally looking into getting around Passageway Str. (Kohai, Basyoni, Ramadan, Maharem, Abuhum) and Sheik Qandil Str. (El Kanadili, Thabet, Tabq, El Toqatli, Galal, El Manadili and El Bawab) (all spelling?) etc.

So even if some are still being renovated, I think the others make up for it! :)

Alexandria
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

I hope i am not late with my reply, but going to Rashid from Alexandria is only by car if you need any assistance please contact me

azza@hartytoursegypt.com

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

Well, thank you very much for your kind offer, Azza, but please do not misinform readers and travellers - car is definitely NOT THE ONLY way to get to Rashid from Alex. Just probably the most comfortable one.

As for me, I followed a brilliant advice by EgyptianGoddess (thanks again, EG! :) and took a local mini-bus from Abu Qir to Rashid. The mini-bus stop in Abu Qir is located straight behind the railways, to the left (I just asked "Rashid?" and was pointed to the mini-bus).

It cost me only LE 3 from Abu Qir and LE 3.50 back from Rashid directly to Alexandria, versus ridiculous quotes of USD 70 to USD 90 from the local companies I tried to contact in advance.

The mini-bus stop in Rashid is located right in front of one of the Ottoman Houses I was interested in. I was quite fine with Rough Guide map of Rashid to get around, especially that I just wanted to wander with no particular rout.

Fort is indeed situated too far from the city centre to walk there, but there are lots of taxis and caleche drivers to take, but mostly they don’t speak any English.

So, as I said, a car is probably the most comfortable, but definitely not the only one way to get from Alexandria to Rashid.

Alexandria
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

Hi... first happy new year ...

I actually meant that it is the only way for tourist but definite if you neet to save on cost than you can go through the experience you mentioned above... I hope u enjoyed Rashid and would defnite like to hear about your experience in Alexandria ...

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

Thank you :) I realize it’s not a NY for Egyptians now, but I think good wishes are always a good idea, so, please, accept mine in turn :)

Back to my Rashid trip, well, there are tourists and tourists. My main idea was not to save money (though it was also very nice :), but to feel less as a tourist and more as a local, that’s why I opted for a mini-bus. Especially that it is pretty similar to what I have in my home country, so I did not expect a brand new AC vehicle with soft comfy seats and had absolutely no problem about the mini-bus.

Most important, it was absolutely safe, just like everywhere I’ve been to in Egypt :) Locals and a driver did look at me with curiosity (no wonder! LOL), but that was it.

And yes, I enjoyed very much both Rashid and Alexandria and had a terrific experience in both. Hope I will finally post my trip report – sooner or later :)

Alexandria
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

Great to hear about your experience... and looking forward to read you review... Wish u all the best.

10. Re: Alexandria to Rosetta (Rashid)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 06:17