We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Egypt

UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Egypt

i

we are two divorced women, looking for a week in egypt in sept/oct. We have a bit of a "bucket list" thing going ( and we are under 40!!) where we need a week in the sun, but also want to do pyramids, valley of the kings, cairo museum and petra...So not much really, Any suggestions, which can include doing this in 2 trips. are gratefully received. I should add that i am a very well travelled and experienced traveller, but of high end hotels and travel , and since divorce, need to revise that approach(!) and my friend has never travelled, bar a week in Skiathos last year with me by way of introduction....So to that effect, we are keen to find a way to do this safely ( as 2 blonde women travelling together will attract a degree of attention in egypt i am sure) as well as cost effectively!

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Egypt

You could stay either in Sharm ,beaches and waterlife, or stay in Luxor,real egyptian town with day to day life. Both will have good weather and are geared up for tourists.

Cairo (Pyramids etc) is 1 hour flight away from both Luxor and Sharm and of course Valley of Kings and the temples are in Luxor(which is again about 1 hour away from Sharm).

Petra is more difficult and I doubt that you could include this if staying for one week as well as Cairo/Luxor.

Being blonde will make no odds as the Egyptians are not hair picky!! I am dark haired and still get attention :-)

Hope this helps and ask more questions to help us understand more about what you want.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Egypt

I was a bit confused by your post, are you planning on two visits to Egypt or a week in the sun (beach resort) & then another trip doing the historical stuff? I agree with Kaz, if you only have one week it would be a squeeze to fit in Cairo/Luxor and Petra, though not impossible.

Your hair colour will not make a scrap of difference, all tourists get a lot of attention, especially females. Wearing conservative clothing and acting more "reserved" than you would normally will help lessen the "unwanted" attention from the men, being too friendly can be misinterpreted as flirting. I am well in my fifties and get loads of attention, mostly compliments - which I ignore, however I will let them know if they over step the mark, I am not interested in romance just history.

Three days in Cairo would allow you to see the Museum, Citadel, Khan el Khalili, Islamic and Coptic Cairo, Pyramids & Sphinx, it will depend on your interests though as I could spend 3 days in Islamic Cairo alone.

Buy a good guide book like Lonely Planet or the Rough Guide, it helps identify your "must sees" in each City. Cairo is a huge chaotic city but it is possible & safe to just grab taxis and see anything on your own if you like independent travel like I do. If you prefer a personal guide here is a list of recommended ones on the forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294201-c85398/Cair…

I have used Mohamed Bahaa on the list and can recommend him as a professional and decent man, he will tailor make a tour for you depending on your interests/budget/ and amount of time, without all the "shopping" stops. Here is my recent trip report of Cairo

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k325…

Fly from Cairo to Luxor, you do not have to book tours before you go as there are many travel companies in Luxor to choose from and they all offer roughly the same tours. In three or four days, you could see the basics - Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Nobles Tombs etc Hatshepsut Temple & Karnak and Luxor Temples.

Here is my Luxor Trip Report from October, this is my fourth visit & I was a solo female don't worry about safety, I walk the streets day & night. The only problem is the "unwanted" attention and hassle to buy etc, which imho is easy to ignore.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k323…

A lot of people from the UK go to Sharm and just do day trips from there to Cairo - Luxor and Petra but they are long days and for me a day tour is NOT enough but it may suit you. In November I did a day tour to Petra from Sharm and really enjoyed it but it is a long day!

I think if you did the three day trips from Sharm in one week though you would be knackered!

As you are on a budget, arrange your own flights on Egyptair before you go, put Egypt as your location as the fares are cheaper, I also booked all my own hotels online and got good prices.

UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Egypt

Thanks so much, it was a flippant comment about being blonde, more that we were aware of the attention women attract!

I think you have answered the question, as we are unsure if we needed more than one trip, and this is probably the case. It may well be Sharm, with a couple of excursions, and then another trip somewhere along the line.

Thanks so much for your replies.

4. Re: A week in Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2010, 05:16