We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not married....Separate rooms!? Really!?

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
515 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Not married....Separate rooms!? Really!?

In a earlier post I mentioned my fiancee & I are taking a trip to Egypt in December. He is originally from Lebanon but has been living & is a Canadian citizen for the last 16 years. I was cautioned that because we are not married & I being Canadian & he not looking Canadian but also because he also both a Lebanese & Canadian citizen that we may not be allowed to share a hotel room ? Does this have any truth to it? I know I've read about local egyptians not being allowed to checked into a hotel with a foreigner...anyone?

Thank you:)

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not married....Separate rooms!? Really!?

As far as I'm aware, this only applies if one of the couple is an Egyptian. I have never heard of any other nationalities having this problem, no matter what their descent.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,902 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not married....Separate rooms!? Really!?

See previous response to this question at tripadvisor.co.uk/…29499742

Mofissio, although now in Scandinavia, was originally in Cairo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not married....Separate rooms!? Really!?

only applies to Egyptian nationals...

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not married....Separate rooms!? Really!?

It doesn't matter whether your boyfriend looks Canadian or not. It's the passport that counts. If you and your boyfriend have Canadian passports then you WILL BE ABLE to stay in one room, even if you are not married.

That applies to men as well. For example an Egyptian and a foreign men can't stay in one room, but two foreign men can.

CHEERS

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,490 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not married....Separate rooms!? Really!?

My husband & I are married, but I've kept my own name, which is not unusual these days. Also, in a number of countries, it's traditional for the woman to keep her own name. When in Egypt there was never a problem about it, so I don't think you need to worry

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,902 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not married....Separate rooms!? Really!?

l'd go with what Mofissio says, but if you still have any doubts - could I suggest asking the hotel themselves?

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
515 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not married....Separate rooms!? Really!?

Great replies guys, I feel reassured:) Thank you.

8. Re: Not married....Separate rooms!? Really!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2011, 06:16