We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turkish airways connection timing nyc-->istanbul-->cairo

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
turkish airways connection timing nyc-->istanbul-->cairo

Hi! I am taking a Turkish Airlines flight from NYC-->Cairo, which has a 1 hour connection in Istanbul. Has anyone taken this flight before who can provide insight on whether it is doable? I feel like I shouldn't have to go through Immigration or Customs in Turkey, as I am just passing through to Egypt, but I'm unsure. Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: turkish airways connection timing nyc-->istanbul-->cairo

We are in the same situation as you .We are going Cario from Canada and have one hour in Istanbul as well to connect to Cairo, spoke to Turkish Airlines and they said we should not have a problem, just make sure you get your boarding pass for your connecting flights before you leave your orignal destination.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: turkish airways connection timing nyc-->istanbul-->cairo

Hi,

In answeer to both your worries, I connected Manchester -> Istanbul -> Cairo in September & the actual transfer process took less than 20 minutes. Istanbul Ataturk Airport is very well laid out & signposting is both visible & easy to understand, (TK are, in my opinion one fo the best airlines I've used on the MAN - CAI run - great food - & IST is a very good airport, even if the food outlets & duty free shops can be a bit dear.)

If you are presented with both boarding passes (this should be the case if the two flights are on Turkish Airlines) just follow the signs to the transit area (this is to the left of the imigration queues) & then you'll, be directed through a boarding card check, up a set of escalators to the depatures lounge.

There are lots of flight information display screens (FIDS) & the whole terminal is laid out ina linear fashion.

Only thing to bear in mind is that you will have to pass through a security scan at your gate.

Hope this helps to put your minds at rest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: turkish airways connection timing nyc-->istanbul-->cairo

This is very helpful. Has the security scan line been long in your experiences? And am I correct in assuming that we need not go through immigration?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: turkish airways connection timing nyc-->istanbul-->cairo

There was no queue for the scanner, at the gate, when on the way to Cairo; I was delayed getting there due to having to run around the duty free shops looking for a pen, to fill out the Egyptian landing card with, but it was an individual airbridge gate being used for this flight.

On the return, there was about a 5 - 10 minute queue for the multiple scanners in use, but this was down to us departing for Manchester from one of the, downstairs, bus gates, which use a common security point and several flights being called to the gate at the same time.

Only thing you may encounter, on the way back, is the usual extra security checks that are imposed on all flights to North America these days.

As transit passengers, with about 1 hour between flights, you never actually leave the airside part of Attaturk Airport so, no, you won't need to clear Turkish immigration.

Even if it is possible for you to leave the airport, on the return flight (as happened in my case), obtaining a visa is as straight forward for US. Canadian & UK citizens as it is in Cairo; seem to remember it being £15, but I had flu at the time & can't really remember. Took all of about 5 minutes to get landside. Returning through immigration to get back airside can take longer & you do have to pass through security & scanners before even entering the airport, but at least there's a couple of immigration points.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: turkish airways connection timing nyc-->istanbul-->cairo

Thank you for being so helpful and knowledgeable. You've completely assuaged my fears! Can't wait - only 5 sleeps until departure!

Thanks!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: turkish airways connection timing nyc-->istanbul-->cairo

Happy to have been of service and hope you enjoy the TK flights, and your time in Egypt, as much as I did (if offered, take the Turkish food option from the menu as this was probably the best in-flight meal I've had in over 40 years of flying).

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: turkish airways connection timing nyc-->istanbul-->cairo

Will do! SeatGuru had mentioned the food was good on TK -- glad to hear this isn't just a myth!

Thanks!

8. Re: turkish airways connection timing nyc-->istanbul-->cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2011, 06:16