We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Egypt safe or not?

Skane County, Sweden
Level Contributor
136 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Is Egypt safe or not?

I read on an egyptians newsite that the criminality is very high in Egypt today and that there is almost no police out. People are afraid to send kids to school etc.

But reading on the forum here, people seem to have nothing bad to say about their visit. But then, I will be travelling around in the country, not just staying at a resort by the sea.

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Egypt safe or not?

Depends where in Egypt you are...... Sharm el Sheikh is extremely safe..... and has an abundance of Tourist Police......

Skane County, Sweden
Level Contributor
136 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Egypt safe or not?

I can imagine, I was thinking more like all over the country..

New Orleans
Level Contributor
694 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Egypt safe or not?

We have been here almost two weeks now. We have not felt unsafe at all. We are on a private tour for the three of us. At any rate, the people we've encountered have been friendly, welcoming and just great. We get lots of "welcome to Egypt" and waves and curious smiles from the children and adults. We went on a day trip with a guide and driver to Abydos and Dendara and saw life in the countryside passing us by. People were everywhere--kids in uniforms going to school, men and women working in the fields, waiting for buses, waving at us, smoking shesha in cafes, working in mechanic shoppes, buying food, etc. We had a pit stop at a military checkpoint and one girl there hugged me and asked me to be her pen pal. Everyone is happy to see tourists.

Maybe life for the average Egyptian is more difficult but from my little time here, I can't see how it would be difficult or dangerous for most tourists. Accidents and crime can happen anywhere in any countries, not just Egypt. We are sad to be winding down our trip. It has been truly wonderful and the experience of a lifetime.

Skane County, Sweden
Level Contributor
136 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Egypt safe or not?

I am glad to hear that you are having a good time and that everything seems well!

I have been thinking about cancelling, but I really want to go!

5. Re: Is Egypt safe or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 03:17