We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights - query

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
Flights - query

Hi,

I have just booked some flights to Egypt for end of October. The plan was to fly into Cairo and out of Sharm.

Oneway flights to Cairo seemed to be really expensive though, particulalry direct. I thought i'd been clever and found a way around it and actually booked a BMI flight to Sharm that stops at Cairo. This flight was £230. Leg 1 is handled by BMI, leg 2 by Air Egypt BMI to Cairo direct (exactly the same flight as leg 1) was over £100 more. I've just rang BMI to ask if we can transfer the AirEgypt flight to another flight from Luxor- Sharm later on the trip. They said we couldn't move or cancel leg 2 as it was a through flight we'd booked.

Bearing in mind the above, would we be able to request Cairo tags on our bags at the airport and just skip the 2nd flight? My thinking is we've paid for both flights ergo it's our choice whether we take them or not.

Has anyone got any experience or thoughts on this? I hope my 'clever' plan hasnt horrifically backfired.

Thanks,

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights - query

Well, to begin with you are quite right in saying that it's yor booking and do up to you whether you fly or not. If you don't turn up for a flight then there's nothing they can do about it.

Not so sure about the bags question though. It might work but, without wishing to cause undue alarm, airlines can be pretty set in their ways and view anything that doesn't accord with their plans as suspicious or just undoable. You might try contacting them beforehand to explain what you want to do then they are at least forewarned of your intentions and if you do it by email and something goes awry you at least have something in writing to fall back on.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights - query

I think that you will find that you have to reclaim your bags in Cairo - as this is the first port of landing in a country. That seems to be the general rule. I have flown many times into Cairo and then on to Luxor or Aswan and have always had to pick up bags, go through customs and immigration and then catch the domestic flight onwards. It makes sense because when you arrive at Sharm you will be on a domestic flight with no formalities to complete. In that case you could just not show up for your next flight or feign illness!

hope this makes sense - good luck

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights - query

I would definitely contact them and tell them what you are planning to do. If you don't turn up for a leg of a multi-leg flight, the airlines can (and do) cancel the remainder of your booking, including the return flight.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights - query

Thanks for the responses.

I guess as we'll transferring from international to internal we'll have to go toa different part of the airport, that could work in our favour.

Luckily were flying back with a different company so they wouldn't be able to cancel anything.

I just don't see how they can enforce anything, we paid for both legs. If we choose not to take one that should be our choice.

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights - query

Sorry, didn't realise you were on a different airline on the way back. In that case, no problem at all, just collect your bags in Cairo and leave the terminal.

6. Re: Flights - query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 14:17