We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any last minute tips?!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Any last minute tips?!

Off to sharm in the morning yay!! Will I be able to get small notes for tipping at the airport as my money is all in 100s? Any other tips for a first timer to sharm?!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,902 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any last minute tips?!

OK - my experience is mainly Luxor, but the same applies

I go to the bank in the arrivals hall (the one that sells the Visas, although you don't normally need one for Sharm unless going outside i) and change my Sterling into LE. (You get abetter exchange rate in Egypt - sometimes up to 10% better)

I then hand a 100LE back and ask for 'small'. If I get 2 x 50's back, H hand a 50 back and repeat the process until I get some ones and fives.

You get a receipt, but there is no passport waving or anything else required.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any last minute tips?!

The above also applies in the local banks in Sharm - just keep asking them to swap it until you get the notes you need.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any last minute tips?!

Plenty of high factor sun cream...used factor 30 and didnt burn at all..

Plus remember to fill in exit passes before going through passport control...thought I had already done this by filling in API online...but no had to go back and get the form/ have a pen handy...no big deal but frustrating

Enjoy your trip

KCC

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any last minute tips?!

Try not to get annoyed by any hassle you get. A firm but polite La Shukran (no thank you) will help to shake off boat/restaurant/horse/shop touts.

Take a day trip to Dahab from Sharm and enjoy the laid back vibe.

5. Re: Any last minute tips?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 23:16