We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money Help???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Spending Money Help???

Hi there,

I have just booked a holiday to Egypt for April next year.

It's my first international holiday ever and I'm very excited!!

Just a little unsure on how things cost once you get there... I'm doing a tour that includes breakfast, transport and accommodation... So I really just need spending money for souvenir shopping and food for lunch and dinner. I don't plan on buying like everything I see, but would like the comfort of not having to keep calculating how much I've spent and possibly missing out on doing things because I didn't take enough money...

I will be in Egypt for 16 days, 13 days on tours and then 3 days alone in Cairo.

Any indicators on spending money would be great!!

Thanks so much in advance!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Money Help???

Tipping can be a major outlay!

Your eating expenditure will depend on what sort of hotel you are staying in. Many Egyptian 5* hotels can be what most of us understand as 3.5*!!

Are you eating out?

If you know the hotels - look up their web-sites and see if menus and costs are shown

Have a look on here at tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294201-s1/Cairo:Eg… for all the articles written about Cairo in general and look on the right at the various Top Questions topics. At the bottom of the Traveller Article page is a section on dining.

Look at cab prices or are you hiring a company to give you a guide?

My normal system is to have a budget of some sort and then take LOTS more!!

You don't say in your profile where you are from and what currency you use. UK citizens are normally recommended to take Sterling and change it in any local bank - they get up to 10% better exchange rate and avoid c card transaction charges .

Edited: 15 September 2011, 12:25
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending Money Help???

Hi Thanks,

I am Australian, but was considering changing money to US$ before i go.

I am touring with TopDeck and Intrepid for all but 2 days of my trip. I will be eating out for most Lunches and Dinners. All my transfers are organised so I wont be needing any Taxi's.

My main issue is that I don't know how much souvenir shopping is going to cost. As an example, I would like to bring back a nice Papyrus painting for my Mum, any ideas on how much this would cost in LE??

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending Money Help???

A nice papyrus is in the eye of the beholder and in a guide organised excursion to a papyrus selling establishment you could spend quite a bit depending on size.

We purchased two on our last trip for a combined cost of about 800LE. They are both quite large rectangular "tomb" scenes and very spectacular but no doubt we could have got them cheaper elsewhere if we had seen identical ones. My wife loves them and has them framed on our wall so I suppose, if you like them, they are worth what you will pay for one.

4. Re: Spending Money Help???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 05:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor