We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A month in Egypt, October- November

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
108 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
A month in Egypt, October- November

Hello,

I'm having trouble deciding what to pack for a month-long trip in Egypt. I haven't worked out the itinerary yet but am leaving in a few days already because I'll be in Turkey before Egypt. I'll probably end up going all over the place from Aswan to Red Sea destinations to Cairo and Alexandria. Should I prepare more for warm weather or cooler? Besides clothing items, what are some must-pack items, kind of things that a typical American wouldn't want to be without while in Egypt?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A month in Egypt, October- November

For the weather see this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294201-s208/Cairo:…

Note that the north of Egypt (Alexandria) is usually cooler than the rest of the country. The hottest and driest part is in the south, known as Upper Egypt (Abu Simbel, Aswan and Luxor).

CHEERS

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,025 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A month in Egypt, October- November

Late October in the Valley of the Kings is almost intolerably hot for some people. It could easily be 40 0C. It will be a bit cooler on the Med, but Cairo may well trap the heat. A light fleece would be the most you needed. Anyway, all clothes are easily and cheaply available.

I don't know what a typical American would not want to be without but you can buy pretty much anything, including some pharmaceuticals that would need a prescription in Western countries. Pharmacies are plentiful and very modern. You don't see pork on menus, and alcohol is expensive and not available everywhere.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A month in Egypt, October- November

lip balm that desert atmosphere sure does dry them out.

A list of arabic numbers some shops and restaurants only have arabic numbers!

An old secondhand cell phone these were excellent currency and quite often asked for - could be useful when haggling a felucca or even shopping in the souqs!

We also took our own padlock as we stayed in many budget places and if the door was locked by padlock we swapped and used our own!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
108 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A month in Egypt, October- November

Thank you, verity1! I'd looked up weather and climate info but couldn't quite form a workable overall picture given the regional variance and my lack of itinerary. Great to know of the local purchase option.

Thank you, Fractalcat, for the additional helpful info!

Edited: 21 September 2011, 19:26
5. Re: A month in Egypt, October- November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 10:22