We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An American's Emotional End to a Glorious 8-Day Nile Cruise

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
265 reviews
Save Topic
An American's Emotional End to a Glorious 8-Day Nile Cruise

The words of our guide in Abu Simbel tell the entire tale of our unforgetable journey through Egypt. He said:

" Welcome! Welcome, my friends. Thank you for visiting Egypt, especially at this time in our history, and thank you for helping to keep us alive. Please go back to America safely - Insh-Allah - and when you return tell all the Americans what a wonderful place this is...and tell them that we love Americans here...and tell them that Egypt is safe for tourists. Even in troubled times, the Egyptian people will always protect you.

Insh-Allah, we will welcome you once again when you return to our country."

Planning to tell our entire story, "warts" and all when we get back. We feel that this was the very best time to visit Egypt as they struggle to obtain Democracy, and sadly for them the crowds were non-existent. If you canceled or postponned your trip, we feel sorry that you missed this truly amazing country.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An American's Emotional End to a Glorious 8-Day Nile Cruise

I look forward to your post Eddie. It sounds like you had a great time!

James

Oxford, Michigan
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An American's Emotional End to a Glorious 8-Day Nile Cruise

Also looking forward to your full review, Eddie. We leave for our Uniworld Nile cruisetour in 3 days. Hopefully, there won't be too many "warts" during our trip.

Rob (Sandy's DH)

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An American's Emotional End to a Glorious 8-Day Nile Cruise

Watch where you walk and hang out in Luxor. Hire only recommended taxi and caleshe. Be able to say NO ( a few times at least with each encounter) and keep walking. Keep a good humor about yourself...no need to be angry or confrontational. Be open minded about differences in cultures and expect to see lots of dirty areas, especially in Luxor. Remember that tipping is part of their culture...tipping for everything and almost everywhere. All the rest will be spectacular. You'll be just fine. :-)

Oxford, Michigan
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An American's Emotional End to a Glorious 8-Day Nile Cruise

Eddie,

Thanks for the advice. We will not be "on our own" at all in Luxor. We will be with our Uniworld tour group the whole time. So, we shouldn't need to worry about taxis, etc. We've done some research so I think we know what to expect regarding the vendors and tipping but I guess we won't truly know until we get there. We're going with open and excited minds so I'm sure the trip will be all we've dreamed of.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,151 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An American's Emotional End to a Glorious 8-Day Nile Cruise

happy to hear that you had a great time in Egypt, and we are all waiting to hear the full story.

Hope all other travellers will never cancel ttheir trips anymore :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: An American's Emotional End to a Glorious 8-Day Nile Cruise

Eddie L

>>Be open minded about differences in cultures <<

Good advice.....that's what I love about Luxor, the different culture!

If you are open minded and go with the flo and accept that you are not in Europe, America or anywhere else that is your own personal comfort zone then Luxor is a fantastic place!

Thank you for taking the time and keeping us updated on your experiences as they are happening.

Linda, x

7. Re: An American's Emotional End to a Glorious 8-Day Nile Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 19:15