We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency to use in Eygpt

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Currency to use in Eygpt

Help I'm so confused!!! I went to Egypt a few years ago and took all Egyptian currency with me (which I purchased from the bank in this country) on my return I had a few Egyptian pounds leftover and the bank refused to exchange them back because they were "defaced". the bank sold them to me like this! after lots of arguing we were left with the money, fortunately we were able to pass them on to someone else travelling to Egypt. As I plan to visit Egypt again soon Someone suggested bringing US dollars instead, what do people think?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency to use in Eygpt

Take sterling - clean, unmarked, untorn notes - and change as needed , within Egypt (where you will obtain a much better rate of exchange) to Egyptian currency. Use only Egyptian currency for purchases and tips within Egypt but if tours (for example) are priced in sterling, pay for those in sterling.

See also, amongst the "Top Questions" - in blue, on the right of this page - "Money and Tipping" and follow the links to further discussions on the subject.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency to use in Eygpt

Can only echo what pausilypon has said.

I can never understand why British people would want to change sterling to USD and then to Egyptian pounds - the only ones gaining here are the banks (even if it says commision free!).

Your entry visa, although priced in USD can be paid in sterling. The official price, as marked on it, is $15 and this usually works out at +/- £10 depending on the day's $/£ exchange rate, although for a long time now this has been between £9-£10 with any change being given in LE.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency to use in Eygpt

Just back from the US a couple of days ago, and while I too echo the more experienced comments above we saw a total willingness to accept ANY legal tender. We changed our US dollars at the airport and at banks. Got some rather funky looking LE notes that upon touching we would use hand santizer in excess. When shopping we were told by shop owners that any of the popular currencies would do, but out of respect to the average working folks who may not have bank relations we used only Egyptian for tipping. At the end of the trip we changed the nasty LE notes back to US with no hesitation or objections. Perhaps a function of very low tourist numbers right now.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency to use in Eygpt

USD, EURO, GBP etc... They can all be exchanged in Egypt for a better rate. No need to bring Egyptian pounds from abroad. You can also use credit cards to withdraw cash.

CHEERS

5. Re: Currency to use in Eygpt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 22:17