We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Egypt Safe...Should You Be Afraid?

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Is Egypt Safe...Should You Be Afraid?

I promised our guide in Abu Simbel and others in Egypt that I would do what I can to send this message, even though it may fall on some deaf ears.....EGYPT WAS SAFE!

I used the past tense because I cannot guarantee anyone's future safety anywhere. However, I can share that during our 17 days in Egypt, from Cairo on down to Abu Simbel we never once (exception was landing - see trip report) were threatened, in fear of violence or the victims of any illegal activity. Just the opposite, we found the Egyptians to be warm, welcoming and generally loving people. Yes, there are persistent salespeople -- how persistent would you be if your family was hungry? You just need to learn how to deal with it effectively, as we did.

In the words of one hotel employee, "...we would kill anyone who harmed a tourist."

For some, the chaos, dirt and hussle of a city like Cairo is daunting and wrongly perceived as aggression. And just like any city, you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but if you are street wise you can avoid the negatives.

We witnessed a Coptic demonstration in Luxor to protest church burnings and one of the protestors smiled, waved and yelled, "welcome to Egypt." Yes, we should not have been there on that site at that time. It dawned on us and we got out of there. NO mishaps though.

Our guide in Abu Simbel said, "Welcome to Egypt and thank you for being here especially at this time in our history. Please return, 'Insha-Allah' to America and tell the people that we love tourists and that Egypt is Safe for tourists."

Insha-Allah, it will stay that way. There, I have tried.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Egypt Safe...Should You Be Afraid?

I think we all know that things can change pretty suddenly when we are travelling and these days, increasingly, it pays to have your wits about you but if we all stopped travelling then the world would be a much poorer place.

Some people have bad or less than stellar experiences but that can be for a variety of reasons be it illness of that they simply can't cope with the hassle they encounter but the vast majority of visitors to Egypt (I hope) come away loving the place and eager to return.

I am glad you had such an enjoyable and mishap free trip!

2. Re: Is Egypt Safe...Should You Be Afraid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 19:18