We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 Day Plan for Egypt (Cario Alexandria and Luxor)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Topic
12 Day Plan for Egypt (Cario Alexandria and Luxor)

Hi,

I'll be in Egypt this coming February for 12 Days and had preliminary itinerary that I wanted some feedback on.

On the first day, I land in Cairo at around 8 PM, which means I’ll probably just get to the hotel and rest. I was thinking six full (days 2 -7) days in Cairo, the eighth, a day trip to Alexandria. On the ninth, leaving Cairo in the late afternoon/ early evening for a flight to Luxor with two full days (days 10-11) there and then taking an early morning flight on the twelfth day from Luxor back to Cairo before my departure the same day at 11 am.

I guess the big questions I have are;

1) Is that enough time in the Luxor area?

2) Is it easy enough to make an early morning airport transfer in Luxor?

3) Is the air system reliable enough to land in Cairo at 9AM and take another flight at 11 AM?

Thanks for your help

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 Day Plan for Egypt (Cario Alexandria and Luxor)

1. I'd do 1 less day in Cairo & 1 more in Luxor. Also, I'd do the Alex trip a couple of days earlier - in the middle of your Cairo time rather than at the end. That breaks things up & also gives your lungs a mini-vacation from Cairo's smog.

2. You should be able to arrange an airport run through a reliable local travel service.

3. I've had nothing but good experiences with Egypt Air but you can run into delays at any time when flying.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 Day Plan for Egypt (Cario Alexandria and Luxor)

What about Aswan and Abu Simbel???

If I were you I would do the following:

DAY 1: Rest

DAY 2-5: Cairo

DAY 6: Alexandria

DAY 7-9: Aswan & Abu Simbel

DAY 10-12: Luxor

2. No problem for an early airport transfer in Luxor.

3. I would give myself more that 2 hours layover in Cairo. If Luxor flight was delayed or cancelled then you would miss your departure flight. There are earlier flights from Luxor to Cairo.

CHEERS

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 Day Plan for Egypt (Cario Alexandria and Luxor)

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it.

I will definitely read up more on Abu Simbel and Aswan. What do you think is the best way to travel between Aswan and Cairo / Luxor?

I probably will have extra time for the flight transfer, I was just wondering if major delays were de-facto operating procedure for Egyptair

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 Day Plan for Egypt (Cario Alexandria and Luxor)

Hi - just got back from Egypt and did a similar itinerary... First 4 nights in Cairo then flew to Aswan and spent 1 day seeing sights there and next day we convoyed to Abu Simbel (A MUST!!). Then we took a car/driver to Luxor and stopped at Kom Ombo and Edfu along the way. We then spent 5 days in Luxor. Flew back to Cairo to see the Egyptian Museum and next day went to Alexandria by car. Hope this helps.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 Day Plan for Egypt (Cario Alexandria and Luxor)

We are just back as well. 16-Days in Egypt>

* 3 Days in Cairo: Cairo Tours & Giza

* 4 Days in Luxor: Valley of the Kings & Queens, Hatshepsut, Karnak, Luxor

* 6 Days on Nile Cruise: The also have 4 night/5 day wnet to Edfu, Kom Ombo, Aswan, then flew from Aswan to Abu Simbel and back. Cruise ended in Luxor.

* 2 Days in Cairo and back home

We had a wonderful time - THE BEST- and are still buzzing from excitment.

6. Re: 12 Day Plan for Egypt (Cario Alexandria and Luxor)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 17:18