We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teenage girl attire

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Teenage girl attire

I've read lots of things in these forums about keeping your knees and shoulders covered out of respect but I have a 14 year old daughter who wants to wear leggings and I wondered if these are acceptable or not? We are heading to Egypt for a tour after Christmas so it might be warm wearing them but it's leggings or jeans - normally during warmer months she wears jean shorts but I know these won't go down well.

I'd really appreciate advice as we don't want to offend and we're so looking forward to our trip. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teenage girl attire

All the Egyptian teenagers I saw wore jeans. I didn't see anyone in leggins. Lots of adult female tourists wear 3/4 length cargo type pants.

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teenage girl attire

What about linen trousers?

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
30 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teenage girl attire

A lot of girls wear leggins here, including not-so-young ones like myself ;) If she wears leggins with tunic or something like that to hide her bum/butt, it'll be OK.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teenage girl attire

We saw jeans and leggings with a long over shirt. At your hotel and around the pool you should not worry. Try to avoid wearing very tight, skimpy, revealing clothing. Even then you will potentially only get unwanted stares and comments. On the streets is where you should be a bit more conservative, but it is not as strict there as you might imagine.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teenage girl attire

I was 17 when I first went to Egypt and we did a full Nile Cruise, The Pyramids, Cairo and finally the holiday bit and I wore shorts everywhere, my sister was 15 at the time and we also had a younger cousin of 11.

It's too hot to wear jeans and leggins (bare in mind i did go in August)

Even in the temples we wore either shorts or cut offs and strappy tops.

They're very laid back as all the children you see there don't have much to wear either, a lot we saw didn't even have shoes especially in Luxor.

Just a tip take lots of pens. Children tend to mither a lot for money but you'd end up spending a fortune so take pens and they will leave yu alone immediately (cause they will go and try to sell it elsewhere).

You'll have a great time in Egypt it was the best holiday I had ever had.

Don't worry and just enjoy yourself!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teenage girl attire

Thankyou all so much for your help! You've all put my mind at ease and my girl will be happy because she just isn't into cargo pants or 3/4 pants. The jeans shorts the Aussie girls wear these days are probably too short - some of them I've banned!

We are going in late December to mid-January so it hopefully won't be quite as hot.

Thanks for the tip on the pens too, Charlotte. We can't wait!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,655 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Teenage girl attire

CharlotteH

I can assume that you don't understand Arabic and therefore had no idea if they were talking about you?

I recommend a look at this article tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294201-c74912/Cair…

Natural fibres such as cotton or linen are coolest in the heat. Think about how the locals dress - it is to cover their skin so they do not burn.

But what you can wear varies with where you are going - In Sharm, anything goes, but as you go up the Nile to Luxor and beyond, the locals attitude will harden.

Sure - No-one will say anything to your face, but..............

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teenage girl attire

@eLaReF actually before you make a judgement our EGYPTIAN tour guide told us to wear short and strappy tops we feel cool in as they understand that Europeans aren't used to the heat which is very dangerous in the middle of the desert n August it was 50 degrees in the shade and if you have never experienced heat like it before you cannot pass judgement.

Everyone on our boat was advised to wear what we feel most comfortable in in the heat and that included Spanish, Italian and French nationals, tourism is Egypt's main income and where ever we went they welcomed us.

And I will also add it wasn't just the women men where in shorts too!!

@Holiday_needed: it's not something I would worry about, go and have a good time, and wear whatever you feel comfortable in which is what your tour guide will probably recommend anyway.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Teenage girl attire

It really depends where you are going, in the cities like Alex & Cairo and resorts it is normal for lots of local women to wear leggings or jeggings, but in Upper Egypt you may get some strange looks. In fact you will see young women in hijab with very tight jeans in the cities.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Teenage girl attire

The leggings and jeans will be fine... You are going after xmas so it wont be stinking hot... Knee length shorts would be fine for a 14 y/o to wear ...The Aussie cut offs would definately be a no no unless you will be in Sharm or Hurghada where really anything goes.. She will be ok in tshirts and long sleeve polo's also and you will need a jumper if you are in Cairo and it gets freezing in Alex at night... My daughter also wore a cap...

( I saw a family in the shopping center in Hurghada.. young girls wearing cut offs and bikini tops and the guys wearing shorts and no shirts.. the Locals were having a good say about that!)

Have a great time :)