We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should you visit Egypt? Yes and GO NOW

London
6 posts
Save Topic
Should you visit Egypt? Yes and GO NOW

Having just returned from Cairo (20-23 Nov), Luxor (23-28 Nov), Hurghada (28-3 Dec), I can safely say that my wife and I had a great stay. Initial concerns over Tahrir were mitigated by avoiding the more volatile afternoon period for our visit. to the Egyptian museum. Demos & riots in a (very) large capital city are highly localised. Regardless the successfult start to the election process and reassuring overtones from the encumbent establishment has created a confident and positive mood. Hopefully the next government will continue to build a positive and mutally inclusive country. Inshallah as they say. If not....go now!!

If you want the incredible sites to yourself you must go now. Everywhere was empty. We stood at the Tutankhamen mask - alone. We sat on the floor of empty tombs in the vallies of the Nobles, Queens and Kings. It was such a privilege (unrepeatable?) to sit looking at over 3500 year old paintings and inscriptions on our own, alone save for a quiet, patient guardian happy that we were happy (and a small tip was on its way after a very quiet day). Karnak - I have photos of empty avenues; Danadara, there was no one. Sure it means local touts are desparate and you will have to smile and learn to say "la, shukran" - and ultimately "la, shukran. Halas"! But bear in mind that these people need tourists to survive. Spend a little at least.

Go and visit this amazing country. And now.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should you visit Egypt? Yes and GO NOW

Amen!

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should you visit Egypt? Yes and GO NOW

Hear hear ! Was so pleased to read your post and hope it encourages people to goto this wonderful country.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,007 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should you visit Egypt? Yes and GO NOW

Oh, to have Tut to myself! I'm planning my first trip for end of January; would it be selfish to hope it stays quiet? I taught art history for years, and to see all this stuff in person will be overwhelming, I'm sure.

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should you visit Egypt? Yes and GO NOW

Hi asbuceadora

I hope it stays quiet enough for you to enjoy your visit but for the sake of the Egyptian people, I hope people will continue to visit this lovely country as they need the tourists for their economy. The historical sights of Egypt are truly breathtaking and unforgettable - you will enjoy it all so much. Hope you have a great holiday !

swindon
Level Contributor
157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should you visit Egypt? Yes and GO NOW

cannot wait for feb to arrive

so exicted

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,340 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should you visit Egypt? Yes and GO NOW

Could not agree more, please go.

No it's not selfish to wish things stay quiet so we can enjoy the sites with less crowds. I have for the first time pictures of Saqqara and Sphinx/Pyramids with no other tourists in them.

On the other hand it's incredibly sad to see so few tourists and I missed them a lot. I had five and a half weeks in Egypt & was often the only visitor, especially in Aswan, Middle Egypt and Siwa/Bahariya - lots of things were closed and they had to open them up for me, not one other tourist for days or weeks!

7. Re: Should you visit Egypt? Yes and GO NOW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 December 2011, 17:05
8. Re: Should you visit Egypt? Yes and GO NOW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2012, 10:18