We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

8 posts
Save Topic
Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

Don't attempt to get a police report for money "stolen" from your locked hotel room. You will not be able to get a copy of your statement which you need for your insurance. I have been advised to say it was "lost". Then they may or may not give you a copy. The tourist police will not help you at all, they will only write it on a blank white sheet of copy paper and make you write things that are not true. They make it too hard for anyone to pursue it so like many others before me I am sure, I have to just drop it!

As I am still in Egypt I will need to follow this up when I leave the country, but I wanted to warn anyone travelling to Egypt. Anyone else who has had this happen to them?

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

Aw that's bad. Where we're you staying?

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

That's so sad..... another nail in the coffin for Egypt atm ;(((( Do hope you manage to enjoy the rest of your holiday !!

England
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

Why not contact your embassy and see if you can make a report with their help. That way at least you would have something in writing?

YS

London
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

I know it is depressing when on holiday but I think you need to try and get something in writting from somewhere official to confirm it has happened.

I am not sure if you are US, European or where you are form but I am pretty sure no Insurance Company in the UK will pay our for lost cash (perhaps its different elsewhere?) without somekind of evidence as even though you know you are honest they will just not take your word for it :-( No reflection on you, just the way Insurance works unfortunately.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

Surely your rep should be there advising you as well. I agree with the others, see if you can contact the embassy out there.

8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

I am in Dahab on the red sea. I have more to add to this but must wait until after the 6th when I leave Egypt or at least tomorrow night when I am back in Cairo. I am afraid of my safety because I have wanted to tell the truth and not lie that it is lost. The tourist police know me now I have been to the police station to try to lodge an official statement. The hotel demanded that I check out because i have said it was stolen from my room but I refused because of my safety. It has been an enormous nightmare the past 3 days. Cannot wait to leave Egypt.

8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

. P.S. I Have contacted my embassy, they are aware of the situation I am in and my whereabouts exactly. They were not aware of the laws in this matter when I called regarding my rights of getting a copy of my statement that I signed. Please watch this space.......

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,180 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

Hi,

So sorry to hear about this. Yes, fellow D.E. for Sharm, Barbarah, had a similar experience when a bracelet was stolen from her, after she fell & passed out whilst climbing Sinai. She spent the night at a police station & the poice were trying to get her to say that she "lost" it.

You keep pushing! Very best of luck & please advise how you go on.

Regards

Edited: 03 January 2012, 16:15
Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

Hi here

Nephthys has been in touch with me and I've sent you a pm. Yes, I was in a similar situation, it was horrendous and I was suffering with injured ribs and arm. I would never advise anyone to contact the police about stolen goods.

Regards

barbarah

London, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning! Don't try to get a police report for money "stolen"

Gosh this is all pretty outragous. A bit too close to the edge for me but we are committed now. I shall definitely leave the 'crown jewels' at home and the video camera. WhatcanIdoo please post when you get back .....