We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending money

Newcastle upon...
5 posts
Save Topic
spending money

hi can anyone tell me roughly how much spending money me and my husband would need to take on an all inclusive stay and nile cruise for a fortnight?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spending money

OK - First answer is NO, because you haven't given enough info

Where are you staying? - A Red Sea resort - or a Nile one?

Class of boat - Egyptyian 5* or REAL 5*

When are you going?

We don't know if alcoholic drinks are included or maybe you only drinks Imported brands which you may need to pay for anyway?

How many souvenirs are you bringing back etc?

What optional tours are you wanting to say yes to?

And the BIG question - TIPS!!

Can we assume it is your 1st time in Egypt? If you can give a lot more detail about what you are likely to do and see, it may be easier to give an answer.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spending money

eLaRef is absolutely right. If you like to splash the cash then it may be a lot, you might have loads of souvenirs to purchase and you might be heavy drinkers...then again you might be teetotal and not be interested in purchasing anything you come across.

Its kinda hard to say. Chances are that you will have access to ATMs during the "stay" portion of your holiday so that might influence how much you actually carry with you.

As a general point though i would say bring clean, untorn Sterling notes with you and change them in Egypt where you will get about 10% extra for your money than back home. Notes that are ripped or dirty will be refused by the vendors (which will surprise you when you see the state of some of THEIR notes!!).

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spending money

debbie, as the others have said it depends....I've been researching the same thing and so far have found 30 to 50 US a day, if you want lots of souvenirs and fancy drinks more. I'm taking 100US a day just in case and will bring back what I don't spend.

Collie

Newcastle upon...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: spending money

Thanks for ur replys. We're stayin at the Siva Grand beach hotel and the ms grand preziosa ship (5 star),arriving 23rd march. All local alcholic drinks aswell as soft drinks included. Not plannin on bringing souvenirs home. There is 10 free excursions during the cruise, still havnt a clue what this entails. Do any of you have any advise on other things to be aware of too plz. Thanks

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spending money

Excursions tend to mean early starts so that could be anything about 6.30 onwards with a wake up call about an hour or so beforehand. The excursions usually comprise Karnak, Luxor temple, Edfu, Kom Ombo, Philae temple, Valley of the kIngs, Hatshepsuts temple, Colossi of Memnon, Aswan High dam, perhaps the unfinished obelisk ..which I make 10 but since you will do some together so to speak (on the same trip off the boat) its never really 10 excursions but rather 10 places of interest.

Other things to be aware of ?. Most of it is covered in the very helpful "Top Questions" at the top right of this forum so i would suggest reading those, especially when it comes to tipping and how the cruises operate. If you have anything specific or that isn't covered then I am sure everyone here will be happy to help ;-)

Newcastle upon...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: spending money

Aww thanks for the information, u seen really clued up!! Ur right about the excursions as I've managed to read the initary or whateva its called. Am still unaware of how much money to take! I know we won't move of the resort when we're on land so a can't see us spendin much or anything there, but really not sure about the cruise. This is our first holiday abroad and we actually won it through a competition so everything seems alien to me lol

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spending money

debbie

Noting your comment re the boat 5* rating. Pls note that I tend to recommend subtracting 1.5* from Egyptian ratings to get to something the rest of the world understands.

Have a look on here to see if you boat is mentioned and see others comments.

You really need to know before departure, what your tours are and whether or not you want to go on them.

A good site to research what can be seen (or ignored) is http://egyptsites.wordpress.com/

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spending money

Blimey, wish I had entered more competitions..lol. Well done you. Still can't really help with spending money but would say that you make sure you know exactly what is included in your "all inclusive" as if imported drinks AREN'T included and you have a specific tipple you will need to factor in that cost.

Boats charge differently so it would help to know what boat you are on then you could post on here for up to date drink costs. You can do the same for the hotel you are staying at and will also be able to find out access to ATMs etc.

eLaRef is right in what he says about ratings but again, if you let us know the boat you are going on people will be able to give you up to date impressions.

Hope that helps.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spending money

Debbie - our posts crossed so I wondered what SWMuse was on about!

Well done on winning the holiday!

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spending money

£532.27p;-))