We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping

After reading all the great posts and responses on all subjects covered, one of the events I'm concerned about is the tipping.

Friends that traveled to Egypt have told us we'll be constantly approached by Egyptians wanting "baksheshe" and they'll drive us crazy wanting money.

I've read about "no eye contac"t and glide through the crowd. But I've got this mental image of being followed and asked for money. Is that the case, do they follow one continuing their plea for money? I'm remembering what Turkey was like and the women with children asking me for money. I had no idea what they were saying, but their hand was out and they pointed to children. They were also completely covered in burkas or whatever clothing that is. Sometimes store or cafe owners would chase them off using a firm voice after the women. I'd already given them money.....but will it be like that? The women with little children asking for money? Difficult to say no to that.

Also, bringing gifts. How does one bring gifts for the kids? We're with a tour group. If I bring cand/giftsy for kids, will other kids run up and I soon be in a mob of children wanting something then dealing with that issue?

thank you

Ufa, Russia
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Please don't give children candy it encourages begging and is bad for their teeth. if you want to interact with children... They will happy just to practice a few phrases of English with you such as Hello, What is you name etc.

Yes some people will ask for bakshish for no reason , just say no or mafisish Fulus (I have no money) . You wouldn't give random people money in America....there is no reason to do the same in Egypt.

There are some genuine beggars. These will be people selling tissues and things like that. You can give them and Egyptian pound ir two ( a few cents). You will notice Egyptians also give to these people too.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Ragsi, is you are with a tour group, your guide should help and advise you, so don't worry too much. Baksheesh is often asked for and there are many threads dealing with this on TA.

One of the most recent forum topics may be of help to you, as it deals with tipping and hassle around tipping:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…39473762

Also useful - a recent report by 'Fliglet':

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k5…

Edited: 04 April 2012, 20:26
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

ragsi, yes you'll get hassled a lot and it can drive you crazy. everybody has something to sell and they will often be in your face to buy it. Our local guide would get upset with them but it didn't stop they will follow you and get insistent it can really spoil the time. No matter what we did, not look at them, pretending we didn't hear, waving our hands and saying no no and no nothing works, it's very annoying to say the least. Friends who live in Luzor say they are trying to educated the touts that they can be more successful by being more low keyed but it's hard with the tourists staying away and the money not coming in and they not understanding how the west works.

Collie

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Tip only for a service you asked for or required and ignore those who just expect soemthing for nothing. A smile and "La Shukran" or "No, thank you" always helps. Don't be rude unless it really becomes necessary eg there is overwhelming persistence or invasion of your personal space etc.

Avoiding eye contact and err..."gliding" through the crowd sounds great but is slightly impractical as you might actually miss something of interest to you.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

SWmuse, we did not find that smiling and saying no thank you helped at all. We just kept walking and ignoring them as best we could, we even had them try and get in the van with us in order to sell something it's pretty bad right now.

The minute you stop to look at something you are a target it just makes it hard to shop, anyhow that was our recent experience.

Collie

Edited: 05 April 2012, 17:53
6. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:40