We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend some cities to see in Egypt?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommend some cities to see in Egypt?

Hi all! This is our first trip to Egypt and we could use some advice. We will be staying for eight weeks and so far, we have decided to rent a place in Cairo for 2 weeks and than take the overnight train to Luxor and rent another apartment in Luxor for 2 weeks. We were thinking of taking the train up to Alexandria and staying there for two weeks, so we have two weeks more to plan. Any recommendations of where to go and what to see? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :-)

Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend some cities to see in Egypt?

Just got back from a trip to Cairo and a Nile River Cruise. I envy you getting to stay for eight weeks. I will have to say I would not want to stay in Cairo two weeks. Traffic is terrible (would not recommend driving on your own) I personally don't think you will need two weeks to see everything. Luxor and Aswan are certainly more beautiful. Go to Abu Simbel. I would recommend a Nile River Cruise. Our boat was MS Dolphin. Nice boat, good food,excellent staff. We upgraded to a suite after we got on board. Gave us more room,however everyone stays on top deck when not touring sites. We had our own Egyptologist and private car. We used TSC Travel (they are located in Turkey) to plan our trip. We thought they did a great job. While in Cairo we stayed at the JW Marriott. It is located not far from airport and away from the madness of the city. Excellent hotel with good security. Hope this helps.

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend some cities to see in Egypt?

That's another vote here for Aswan and Abu simbel! Loved the couple of days spent there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend some cities to see in Egypt?

I'm seriously considering going to Aswan. Thank you for the advice Steve and TheDgbys, because I hadn't really thought about it before. There are several of us travelling, so I'm considering taking the train down as cost is a factor and the cruises/boats seem to take a couple of days and are a bit expensive compared to the train. I'm going to seriously look into this. Thanks again!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend some cities to see in Egypt?

Like Steve H (#1), I would not care to spend two weeks in Cairo - although, on reflection, I can remember once spending three whole days in the Antiquities Musem. It depends very much on your interests.

Two weeks would, in my opinion, be far too long for Alexandria.

Luxor - and the nearby sites - can easily fill a fortnight, maybe more depending on the rate at which you cram in sites. For example, on a recent visit, I needed two whole days for Karnak although I had already browsed through the complex many times.

Aswan, with a side trip to Abu Simbel? - a week, maybe longer if you like relaxing by the pool.

You may also consider passing some time at one of the Red Sea resorts.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend some cities to see in Egypt?

A week in Cairo should be enough and probably no more than two or three days in Alexandria (just my opinion), certainly two weeks in Luxor, a week in Aswan ?...if you had the money and timing was convenient then you could fit in the cruise around Lake Nasser and see some of the less well known sites.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend some cities to see in Egypt?

Thanks pausilypon and SWmuse!

One thing, I'm having a little trouble finding holiday apartments in Aswan as I would rather not stay in a hotel. Do you have any suggestions or where I can look online for an apartment? Thanks again!!!

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend some cities to see in Egypt?

londonderrry, also replied to your thread in the Aswan forum -

Try contacting the following companies who's websites show houses in Nubian Villages in Aswan available for rent.

Aswan-Individual. com

experiencenubia.com (it initially just shows the bet el kerem guesthouse though the website does say that they can also arrange house rental for you)

Agree with Pausilypon that some time at one of the Red Sea resorts might be nice too, I'm not really a typical beach holiday type person but the snorkelling is fantastic!!!!

Suzie :-)

8. Re: Recommend some cities to see in Egypt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:16